Monday, June 10, 2013

You're Taking Me Where??????

It finally happened this last weekend - we left work early on Friday!!  It's been a long time in coming and we packed the camper Thursday night so we would be ready!  I had asked Glenn a couple of times where we were going but he conveniently ignored the question and then decided to make a guessing game out of it for me!!

We headed out at 1:30 (and the pickup even started this time!) and Glenn told me we would be driving 2 1/2 hours to our location - at this point, I'm thinking - OK - (and the girls will get a chuckle out of this) if he says it's 2 1/2 hours, it's PROBABLY 3 1/2 hours - Glenn tends to underestimate EVERYTHING so I've learned if he says we're hiking a mile, it's 2 miles - if he says our location is an hour away - it's 2 hours away - get the picture!!

So I guessed we were going west which was correct but I know when we got to the one turn-off, I would have to make a choice over which pass we would be going over and I chose the right direction.  BUT at the next turn, I was completely wrong as he headed in the opposite direction - and after a little ways I guessed it - Saguache!!  And yes, it took us 3 1/2 hours to get there!

Now Saguache doesn't hold great memories for me - we had camped near there many years ago down in this hole where there was no breeze, bugs, and tall grass - he wanted to camp there so he could drive his motorcycle to scout!!  The other time, we stayed at the only hotel in Saguache and it was one for the memory books!!  The wind was coming in the hotel room so bad that we had to put towels under the door to keep the wind out!!

But this camping trip only holds WONDERFUL memories - yes, it took a long time to get there but it was well worth it and Glenn knew right where to go for a camping spot!!  This was our view!


The spot was perfect and with the mountains and valleys for a view, he couldn't have picked a better spot - with only seeing 3 other campers on the way, we knew it wouldn't be too busy!!

We took a ride that first evening to see if there was any wildlife around - lots - elk, antelope and deer - it's a haven for animals!

This is Chimney Rock - kind of a neat rock in the middle of nowhere!!

Were the trails good?  Absolutely!!  Except there was a lot of open ground to travel over and it was pretty dusty!!  We packed a picnic and had a great day of ATVing - and the best part - we NEVER met another ATV or a dirt bike - we had the entire network of trails to ourselves!!

As I said, it was pretty dusty and when we got back to the camper, Glenn told me my face was filthy which I knew - my sweatshirt was horribly dusty so I had a feeling my face was pretty bad too - he insisted on a picture so I relented - I had NO idea I looked this bad till I downloaded my pics!!  Check out those ears!!!  Yes, I rinsed the washcloth many times!!



Happy Hour???  I see beer and a wine cooler but no people??

Sat night we left on our ride a little later than normal and although he won't admit it, Glenn got a little turned around and it was quite dark by the time we got back - good thing ATV's have lights on them!

Sunday dawned gorgeous and was the first day I didn't have to layer up all day long!!

There was a side road on one trail that I asked Glenn to take and this is what was at the end of it - what a beautiful place for the remains of those that must love nature and this national forest!  It was a touching sight!

There weren't any regular wild flowers out yet as it's too early but there were dozens and dozens of patches of wild iris!!  They just come in shades of purple and reminded me of our old home in Soldier where there were iris's growing along the side of the house!

I didn't look any better after riding all day Sunday either!!  But the rides were worth being dusty and dirty!!  After a stop in Buena Vista for dinner at Coyote Cantina, we rolled into home about 8:15 after one great weekend!!

2 comments:

Teri said...

Sounds just perfect! I so envy your time with nature!

Anonymous said...

Loved the little cemetery - how neat was that!!! Ahhhh I envy you when you go on those trips!!!