Sunday, April 24, 2016

Savannah Bound

The weather forecast wasn't looking good for me to fly out to Savannah for our annual sisters' trip!  Snow, snow and more snow was in the forecast - but for once I was flying out of Co. Springs instead of Denver!  I told Glenn he would have to take me down - not only was there going to be a lot of snow but we would leave the house at 3:30am and I don't drive well in the dark!

Sure enough the storm came in late Friday night - we woke up to about 6" and it was coming down hard and fast!  I was thankful to have Glenn drive me as it was not a fun trip to the airport!  Luckily the flights were still going out of Co. Springs - Denver cancelled over 700 flights that day!

Glenn hung out for a while to make sure I was going to get out and I breathed a sigh of relief when I boarded the flight for Atlanta where I would meet Patty and Teri!  The clouds were beautiful when we got above them - and yes, it was a bumpy ride for awhile!!

 Teri and Patty were waiting at my gate with sandwiches in hand for the next flight to Savannah.  I arrived late as we sat on the runway a long time waiting to de ice.  It was so good to see them and we headed to our next flight!

In 45 minutes we arrived at the airport and were surprised to find out that it really isn't in Savannah and it takes about 1/2 hour to get into the actual town!  We grabbed a taxi and soon were at the cottage we had rented for the next 4 nights!  It was just perfect for the 3 of us with plenty of room to spread out and 2 bedrooms.  The cottage was located at the edge of the historic district which meant we could walk if we wanted to or take the free bus.



 We quickly unpacked and changed and walked about 4 blocks to catch the bus to the river.  Savannah was beautiful - lots of big trees with moss hanging down from most of them!  The weather was perfect and I could already feel my dry Colorado skin soaking in that little bit of humidity!

River Street was in full swing!!  All kinds of shops were set up along the river with music playing and lots of people!  We sampled delicious pecans that had been dipped in different flavors and I bought blueberry ones - gosh were they good!!  And walking around early evening with no jacket - I loved that!!

There was a really cool looking bridge in the distance!

We ate at The Shrimp Factory that evening - and this punch recipe was on our place mat!!  Not sure I would want too much of that!!

When you're in the South, you eat fried green tomatoes!!  And that's just what we had for an appetizer - I really didn't know what to expect but they were good and that's pimento cheese on top which we found they use quite a bit!

Savannah is one of 3 towns in the US where they have an open container law.  So we stopped at the nearest bar and got 3 peach sangria's "to go" and walked around!  Fun times!!


We caught the LAST bus that evening - somehow we forgot to check what times they ran so we need to be aware of that each evening as it's a couple of miles back to our place - and not something we wanted to do in the dark!

Our cozy cottage was waiting for us and since we all had been up early that morning, we hit the sack!  Even with the 2 hour time difference for me, I fell asleep quickly and slept great!

2 comments:

Teri said...

Love reliving the trip! What fun we had.

Jill said...

How fun to walk around with a drink in hand!