Monday, September 26, 2016

Lake City Aspens

Our fall trip to Lake City was planned!!!!  2 nights in a cabin by the lake and then on to South Fork to spend another night in a cabin - I was excited and happy to know my favorite trip of the year was about to happen!

Friday cousin Craig texted me and wanted to know where we usually ATV'd in the fall as they were heading out in a couple of weeks - I told him Lake City and that we were headed there on Monday - he said they couldn't come out yet and I advised him the leaves could be gone in 2 weeks in that area - and also that we had a 2 bedroom cabin already rented and they were welcome to join us!!

And before long, they had decided to head out to Colorado from Iowa and ATV with us!

The 4 of us headed out early Monday morning for Lake City - breakfast stop at Gunnison at Glenn's favorite restaurant and then coffee next door for me before we headed out again!!  We headed right to Engineer Pass since we have to trailer there anyway and began our journey up the pass!!


 It was definitely peak season for the aspens!!  They were absolutely gorgeous and some of the prettiest trees I remember in a long time!  My favorite spot to photograph - and yes, I already have this picture enlarged and hanging in our new house!


 My favorite trail is the Nellie Creek trail and it's the perfect trail to see aspens!!

 It was cold at the top!  So we never waste a lot of time up there even though the scenery is amazing!!


 There were a lot of oranges this year - that has to do with the amount of rain we receive and I love seeing the oranges mixed in with the golds!!

 Craig and Becky certainly enjoyed the trail - there are some rocky spots but they were real troopers and handled them like pros!!

It was a fantastic first day - as Becky said, a 10 out of a 10 for scenery!!

We headed into Lake City that evening to eat at Southern Vittles for dinner - and I think we were ALL ready for an early turn in after our day!!  To Be Cont'd................

2 comments:

Jill said...

Wow, that orange is amazing!

Teri said...

Just beautiful and so fun to share it with Craig and Becky!