Monday, November 21, 2016

Elk Hunting - Did He or Didn't He?

Glenn's 2nd hunt of the season was soon upon us and it was time to head to Gunnison!  Since there weren't any cabins with kitchens that were near where he was hunting, he decided to just pull the 5th wheel over and park it at the campground at Blue Mesa!

We knew it was going to be pretty cold but we plugged into electricity and brought a couple of space heaters which ran MOST OF THE TIME in lieu of using the propane furnace!  I had plenty of warm clothes along and was still recuperating from that head cold so knew 5 days of rest and relaxation would be good for me!

Gunnison is normally the coldest place in the state!!  I'm sure our trip was no exception as it was 7 degrees a couple of the mornings...................we had a little bit of snow accumulate one day but the wind was horrible so it was blizzard like conditions for the day.  Glenn ended up coming home by late morning that day and spent the rest of the day in the 5th wheel with me!

Glenn was normally up by 5:00 and out the door by sunrise - I on the other hand slept in a little longer and had the whole day ahead to read, watch movies and do some swedish weaving!  I did walk down to the lake a couple of times and that water sure looked cold!


I tried to walk a couple of the campground loops every day just to get some exercise because otherwise all I was doing was sitting!  I believe I watched a total of 14 movies during those long days.................but it was fun since I don't normally do that!!

And did Glenn get that elusive elk?  No - he sure didn't - they seemed to be in hiding this year!  But he enjoyed walking the mountains and enjoying nature and that's what it's all about!!

2 comments:

Teri said...

Looks like a beautiful place and so nice for you to relax! Someday I will get to that point. Right now I am just trying to find the time to finish all the projects I wanted to do for Christmas!

Jill said...

Very pretty lake; not many trees in that area though. How fun to watch that many movies!