Saturday, November 12, 2016

Reflections On Our Mexico Trip

I did a lot of thinking on our trip to Akumal - imagine that!  We both enjoyed the trip but the "magic" just wasn't there so I did some soul searching to figure out why.  And this is what I discovered...............

1)  I missed Colorado - I missed our new home - I guess we just haven't lived in our house long enough to get over the "newness" of living there.

2)  When you're retired, it's really not "vacation", it's traveling!  This is the first trip for Glenn and I to take a trip alone to Mexico since we retired - and the magic of vacation when you're WORKING is an entirely different feel when you're retired!  When you're working at a job full time, you need that vacation to de-stress, unwind, and sleep in.  But if you're retired, none of that really applies to you because you are already DOING THAT!

3)  Been there - done that!!  I started thinking about all the beach vacations Glenn and I have taken - and then I started writing them down...............since we've been married, we've taken 26 beach vacations out of the country!  That's a lot - a whole lot!!  And though we have enjoyed each and every one of them, I think we've both reached the point where we can say we're ready for something else!! (of course we already have one more planned for Feb so will thoroughly enjoy that, knowing it could possibly be our last one!!)  Just for reference here are the trips we have taken:  Kino Bay (4 times), Bahamas, Puerta Vallarta (2), Yelapa, Jamaica, Manzanillo, Puerto Morales, Playa Del Carmen, Cabo (2), Cozumel, Isla Mujares (2), Loreto (2), LaPaz, Belize, Sayulita, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, Tulum, Akumal (2).  It's hard to believe all the wonderful places we have been to!

So that's my take on why the "magic" wasn't there..................but I'm already excited about planning some trips in the states to see places right here in the U.S. that we haven't seen before!

3 comments:

DrKeppy said...

Good observations! Maybe too you need more people to go with on vacation... you know like ones that have small children to see the world through! :) :) :)

Jill said...

I like Jessi's comment! Or perhaps a mother/daughter's vacation to an all inclusive Mexico trip! Overall, good conclusions to come to!

Teri said...

Sounds so much like me (though I am not retired!). I too found that traveling too much can take away from the 'awesomeness'. I love going to Europe but am ready for a break. Can't believe how many trips you have made down south!