Tuesday, September 5, 2017

The Freezer Is Still Empty

Glenn continued to hunt - I continued to relax!!  Friday night Glenn walked in about 9:00pm that night and looked utterly defeated!  He was sitting in his tree stand and a cow elk came down off the mountain - it was a perfect shot - only Glenn froze and couldn't pull his bow back far enough!  He said his adrenalin kicked in, his heart started beating crazy fast and he could hardly think!!  Needless to say, he did not get the elk and decided he was DONE doing archery!  This had happened about 10 years ago also - same problem - when you're hunting deer it's called "buck fever" so I guess I'll call it "elk fever".  I felt bad for Glenn but it doesn't bother me if we don't have the meat - I'm a beef lover from way back growing up on the farm....................

Saturday morning I went with Glenn to see where his episode had happened and where his deer stand was up in the trees!  And then I realized why it took him so long to get home at night!!  It was a LONG drive on the ATV and then a steep, steep hike down the side of a canyon!!  I don't do well going down, especially when there's not a trail!

Here's the tree where Glenn's tree stand is! And yes, that's Glenn up there too!

 That tree was WAY too high for me - I don't do heights well!!  But Glenn seemed to scale it pretty fast!  He had moved his tree stand to this tree about 1/2 way through hunting season - when he moved it, he forgot his gloves so he came home with badly scratched hands on one side and lots of sap on the other side!

 I took this picture because the bluffs that you see have special significance!  On TOP of the bluffs, is where Glenn and I always stop and have lunch when we're ATVing!!  And now we were at the bottom!


Just a peek at how steep the so called trail is heading back up to the ATV.

WHEW!  What a workout going up that trail and wondering how Glenn did it daily!!

We packed it all up and headed home Saturday afternoon - a great camping week and even though Glenn didn't get an elk, he still had fun!

1 comment:

Teri said...

Too bad about the hunting but what a view!