Sunday, September 16, 2018

The Realities of Elk Camp

Yes - I went with Glenn so he didn't have to be by himself hunting elk!  No - I don't hunt, I sit in the 5th wheel and read or sit outside if possible.  Yes - I packed enough groceries for an entire week as that's how long we were to be there.  No - I really do hope I don't have to go next year...…………..

We headed up towards Walden which is a beautiful area - Glenn had a road picked out that he wanted to camp at because it was close to where he wanted to hunt!  But it was a logging road (an active logging road) and basically there were only a couple of places that we could fit the 5th wheel in - neither of the places was ideal but we finally got the camper in the spot and set up!

I was excited to see the leaves were turning!!


Now when we camp, I like the outside to be all neat and tidy - and that's certainly NOT what happens when Glenn hunts!!  I mean really, how ghetto does it look when you have a freezer sitting outside your campsite?


And check out the actual site!!  As you can see, trees were hitting the slide-out on one side and the awning on the other side!!  And the rest of the space was covered in rose hips - little plants that have thorns on them!!  So it wasn't even fun to sit outside because you could hardly see through the trees!


And did I mention the cows?  It's open grazing there so there were cows walking by all of the time which means manure which translates to FLIES!!!  And did I also mention that the logging starts about 2:00am?????  Yup, that's the time when the trucks start rolling by!!

So it was an interesting time there!  I spent most of my time indoors sorting "paper memories" which was a good job to get done!!  I watched a couple of movies, courtesy of the generator, read some old journals, and did some regular reading!

I did go for morning walks (but not too far as I forgot to bring my bear spray)but they were quick walks because when those logging trucks go by, they're fast!!!  And the road is none too wide!!

We did go for an ATV ride the first day we arrived and I sure enjoyed looking at the colors!!



I was THRILLED when Glenn got his elk the 2nd day the season opened!!  Since we arrived 2 days early anyway, that meant we wouldn't be there for an entire week!!  He was happy - I was happy!!

After he got it all quartered out and brought to our campsite, he plugged in the freezer and had to cool it all down before we headed home!  This rainbow came out the morning we left!!


And on the way home, we had a nice view of Rabbit Ears - I'm not sure why this peak got called Rabbit Ears because the rocks sure don't look like ears but it's a cute name anyway!!


And a picture of the elk??????  Right here!!  That's the best Glenn could do since it was nearly dark when he shot the elk!




2 comments:

Teri said...

What an experience. At least you weren't there too long :)

Jill said...

Yes, your campsite did look ghetto! The leaves are beautiful and that's a pretty funny picture of the elk! So glad he got one early!