Sunday, May 23, 2021

Kansas Bound

 It was definitely time to go to Kansas to visit best friend Joleen!  She comes to Colorado about every 2 months and always stays with us while she visits her son and grandson, but has wanted me to come back out for a long, long time!

And what I needed to do was to just put in on the calendar and GO!  Glenn had decided he would go with me and take the boat to fish at nearby lakes, camping at wherever he was!  It was a good plan and he spent hours and hours on the computer finding what lakes to fish and downloading articles, etc etc.  But about 2 days before we were to leave, he decided it just wouldn't be worth it because the weather showed rain every day in KS - and we all know how much fun camping and fishing are in the rain.!

So early Tuesday morning I headed out by myself on the 7 hour drive to Salina in the mist and the rain!  It wasn't a fun first 2 hours because of the heavy rain and fog but I made it to Limon where I stopped for a bite of breakfast and from then on, it was just a little bit of rain!  I had brought many old CD's to play in the car and that sure made the drive go a lot faster!  

There isn't a lot to see on the way since you're on the interstate but I definitely noted how GREEN Kansas was as opposed to Colorado - with all the cold weather, snow and rain we've been having, it still feels like the tail end of winter!  So the greenery was fun to see!

I made great time driving as I had brought my lunch with me to eat in the car but I did stop a couple of times at rest areas to just walk around which helped my back a lot!  And seeing how I am so directionally challenged, I made sure to put Joleen's address into my car navigation so at least I wouldn't head the wrong way on the interstate - ha - I'm not really THAT bad!

It was great to pull into Joleen's house in town and get out of that car - we took a tour of her house and garden - she definitely has a LOT of plants and flowers growing (which looks like way too much work!) and we stopped over at "Grandma's" place and visited with her and then looked at the huge garden that Joleen plants and tends to!  No wonder when I call her, she always says she's working in the garden!

We headed to a Mexican place for margaritas and cheap tacos for dinner - Taco Tuesday!  It was definitely a "Mexican" place as you can always tell when the workers don't speak a lot of English - great food and drink!


After dinner we did the walking sculpture tour downtown - they have sculptures brought in each year and you can vote for your favorite!  This longhorn bull was amazing!


And I especially like this one entitled The American Farmer - reminded me of Iowa!


And we couldn't leave downtown without each buying a HUGE slice of cheesecake at this place!  I took a picture and sent to Jill so she could show Robby!


I chose the regular cheesecake and had the gal put raspberry topping on it - Joleen chose kit kat!  We both made pigs of ourselves that evening and each ate our entire piece!  I think we both suffered from that the next day!  I woke up in the middle of the night and had heartburn and Joleen didn't sleep well either!  That'll teach us!!


3 comments:

Teri said...

What a fun trip and great food!!!

DrKeppy said...

So glad you got to finally visit Joleen! (Even with the KS covid travel ban - ha!)

Jill said...

Robby felt pretty special about "his" cheesecake! Glad the drive went well.