Sunday, May 8, 2011

The First Camping Trip of the Season!

Although we slept in a little bit, we were on the road by 8:00 - Glenn had decided we were going to stop in Co. Springs and eat at Sheldon's Luncheonette for breakfast. Ok, I think I HAD been there before but it wouldn't have been my first choice - probably not my second or third either......... But breakfast was OK and they had those little jelly packets that work SO NICE in the camper instead of bringing a jar of jelly so I conveniently packed a few in my purse for future use!

The diner reminded me of something out of the 50's or 60's - that was the type of place it was!! And at that point, Glenn and I reminisced about the time we stopped at a "diner" with Jessi - we were either going to visit Jill in Durango OR a camping trip - and Jessi could not BELIEVE the diner - it was something out of the 60's that had NEVER been updated and she got such a kick out of it - I do remember the food was good and there was LOTS of it!!

After breakfast we headed to La Veta where the new house was and he did templates for the granite while I walked around admiring the new home! And then it was off to Sanchez Reservoir so Glenn could fish - it's a lake kind of out in the middle of nowhere but he enjoys fishing there for walleye! I prefer to be in the mountains of course but was willing to sacrifice so Glenn could enjoy the lake!!

First we had to stop in the town of Ft. Garland as Glenn wanted some beer and some worms - and I needed marshmallows!! The first stop was at the liquor store which claimed to be a convenience store so I thought all 3 items could be bought there but all he came out with was a 6 pack of beer. Next stop, the Food Mart which is the local grocery store - they were SUPPOSED to have worms here but all he came out with was a package of marshmallows (and darn it, they didn't have the brand I wanted either!!). So our third and final stop was at the Commissary where he ended up getting the worms and also some small items to work on the plumbing in the camper!! By this time, I'm famished so I crawled in the back and made us some sandwiches to eat while we drove to the reservoir!

We set up camp and realized later that afternoon that we were the only ones camping there - that's always kind of nice!! Glenn left to fish and I grabbed a book and headed out to read - except the wind was SO bad, it was miserable so I ended up just reading in the camper.

I sure didn't pack properly though - guess I was still on "mountain" weather where it's still 15 degrees in the morning and maybe up to 50 during the day! It was pretty warm out but all I had were jeans or sweats to wear.........

I didn't totally spend all of my time sitting in a chair reading a book - I actually walked over to where Glenn was fishing to snap this photo!!


We had some great grilled brats for dinner and a nice campfire to sit by - and then Glenn headed to bed while I read! The camper worked out great - the way the dining area is set up makes it much easier to relax and read!! I was a little leery when I headed up to sleep, knowing that I usually have my panic attack when I turn out the light if the moon isn't very bright (I have a solar light but forgot to charge it up!). But I had no problem falling asleep NOR staying asleep - in fact, I slept for 10 hours - absolutely UNHEARD of for me!!


To be continued.............

2 comments:

Teri said...

Sounds wonderful - hope the rest of the trip was just as good!

DrKeppy said...

I can't even kind of remember the diner you spoke of! You'll have to give me more details to maybe spark a memory! I love your shopping trip combo - beer, marshmallows and worms!! LOL