Saturday, December 26, 2015

The LONG Trip Home................

After our Christmas festivities last weekend and one last cup of coffee and a cinnamon roll, we headed back to the mountains.  First - a stop at American Furniture Warehouse right off of E-470 - this huge building has always intrigued me and I just knew they were going to have so much more furniture than the one in Co Springs.  But I was wrong - I was disappointed, in fact very disappointed.  There was not that much there that I was interested in and I like the setup so much better in CS - guess the grass is NOT always greener on the other side of the fence..................

As we got into CS, our neighbor called Glenn and said the pass was closed due to a home invasion in Cascade.  I quickly checked my phone for an update and sure enough, the pass was closed and they had no idea when it would open.  We decided to take a back way up Rampart Range Road but after finding it, discovered it was closed.  Then it was off to our 2nd choice, Gold Camp Rd but it was closed too..............

Since the Broncos game was going to start soon, we headed to a Sports Bar for a late lunch and watched the game until I got the text that the pass was back open.  We waited a little while until 1/2 time, noticing that it was snowing outside and getting heavier and heavier!!  We headed to the car and looked like snowmen by the times we reached it - the snow was very wet and very heavy!!

The roads were bad but we started up the pass and found it was even worse!!  Cars were off to the side, accidents, it was a mess!!  There was so much traffic backed up on both sides that the snowplows couldn't even get through.  It took us a long, long time to go a few miles!!

We finally got home around 5:30 - 6 hours after we had left Denver!!  And later found out that the home invasion deal was all taken care of with thankfully, no one hurt!! 

3 comments:

Jill said...

Super crazy story! I don't like those trips home.

DrKeppy said...

I still can't believe that happened! YIKES!

Teri said...

Glad you made it back! Not much fun when you are ready to be home!