Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Cider and Bridges

Patty and I checked into our hotel after lunch and planned our afternoon - we were going to see a couple of the bridges and go to a winery.

After missing the turn off for the first bridge and not even SEEING the sign for the winery, we ended up at the Winterset Cidery!  No problem - we'll do the cider place first!  It was a gorgeous building and we decided to take pictures outside first.  I was looking through my phone camera and told Patty to step down as she was in the shade and she immediately was NOT in my camera view - she had stepped down and fallen!!!  She wasn't hurt at all and we both were laughing so hard we could hardly talk - the owner of the place came out to make sure Patty was OK and oh my, how funny it was!!

I guess I was a little naive when I walked in there - I thought we were going to taste apple or cherry cider - duh - this was HARD cider - alcohol!!!!!  But of course we decided to go ahead and taste it since we were there!!  Good thing we shared!



I can't say I really like the hard cider at all - to me it had a beer taste and I'm not a beer drinker!  But we still had fun and ended up buying matching long sleeved t-shirts!

We found the Hogback covered bridge pretty easily - this bridge was built in 1884 and was named after a nearby limestone ridge!


No matter how many angles I tried, the bridge always looked like it was leaning!

I loved looking through the bridge and seeing all the rafters - and walking on those huge planks that they used for the floor!!  Many of the bridges had wooden pegs in them!


Next we headed over to the Cedar covered bridge which was built in 1883 - unfortunately this bridge was set on fire a few years ago - it was completely restored, only to have someone set it on fire again just a few weeks ago...................how sad!

We ate that evening at a Mexican restaurant - it was just OK, nothing special!  But we decided that we needed some chocolate to end our evening!  I had Patty pull up to the local drugstore since I was SURE that they would have dark chocolate but they didn't have ANY chocolate...............so we headed back to the motel as we were tired and guess what they had at the front desk - chocolate chip cookies - YUM!!  They tasted delicious with the coffee we made back in our room!

Guess I snapped a picture of the beautiful court house before we headed back to our motel - I love seeing that flag waving!

Time for some reading and relaxing - and we both put on our t-shirts for the rest of the night!!

So ended Thursday - and we knew Friday would be fantastic also!

1 comment:

Jill said...

I'm laughing pretty hard that you didn't know it would be hard cider! Oh Mom!!! I do like hard apple cider!