Thursday, November 12, 2020

Part Two - Arches National Park

 I love this photo - it almost looks like I took it in black and white but I didn't!  Perhaps this is what Mars looks like!


This was called Panorama Point!


It was fun to just sit and stare at these creations and try to figure out what they looked like in YOUR mind!


Delicate Arch is the arch that is on the Utah license plates, probably the most famous arch of all!  To get to this arch, you take a difficult trail on a 3 mile roundtrip hike, which I knew we wouldn't be doing due to the 480 foot climb AND the steep slickrock slope you have to climb!  NOPE - I chose to just do the viewpoint - but then I saw a trail you could climb that would get you closer so we did that - it was steep and rocky but well worth it once we got closer and could get a better picture!


This next arch was my all time favorite - the Sand Dune Arch - you can't see it from the road and you hike in deep sand to go into this narrow canyon - I loved it!!


And after you go through these narrow places, there it is!  Oh my gosh - it was awesome!!


You could only go so far in this canyon before you would run into this!


This arch is called the Skyline arch - just a short journey to get to it!  By this time the park was even busier - and I was very surprised at all the people that wore masks outside doing these short hikes!  We never got very close to people so were very comfortable NOT wearing masks outside!


The final arch is called Landscape Arch and it's in an area called Devils Garden - this hike was 1.6 miles but on an easy trail - the only problem was the sun!  There was no way to get to the other side of it so most of my pictures were quite dark and needed some editing just so you could see it!  But it was sure a cool arch to see and I'm glad we made that journey!


This is the canyon at the beginning of the hike - on our way back there were people taking pics and they offered to take one of the two of us!  THANK YOU!  One of my favorites!!


We stopped at the Visitor Center on our way out and were very disappointed that the ONLY thing open was the gift shop!  Everything else was roped off which was really disappointing as that's one place we  enjoy browsing and reading all the info.  I did find my ornament so I was pleased about that!

I had wanted to eat at the Broken Oar Restaurant that night - we had seen it as we drove in the maze in  Moab as it's off the main road a little bit.  When we got back to our room, Glenn took a LONG nap so by the time he was ready to get up and eat, it was dark out!

Neither of us like to drive at night anymore - but Glenn said let's go!!  So we got out on the main drag and of course immediately we're in the construction where we couldn't see a darn thing where to turn off - the construction cones were a nightmare!!  Anyway, we missed the turn - and the traffic was so bad that we couldn't even see a place to turn around so ended up going all the way through Moab and on the outskirts of town before we finally found a spot we could turn around at!!  OMG - I was SURE we would find it on the way back in but nope - we drove right past it!!

By this time I was DONE - so told Glenn I had seen a brewery restaurant a couple blocks from our hotel so we ended up going there - it was a great place to eat and we were glad we went there!  Now to try for the Broken Oar the NEXT night!!

3 comments:

Teri said...

Love all the pics - how pretty!

Jill said...

Wow! Beautiful arches!

DrKeppy said...

Your favorite place was ours too! The kids wanted to stay there for HOURS since the sand was so soft. Can't wait to see your ornament - I was disappointed by the selection when we were there!