Sunday, January 10, 2021

Happy New Year!

 It's a new year and I believe everyone was ready to leave 2020 behind!  Although 2021 hasn't started out so great either...    Time will tell!

So I'm sure you are all so excited to hear what we did on New Year's Eve - yea, right!!  We old folks just don't have the stamina to stay up late - but we did see the fireworks set off of Pikes Peak at 9:00 (they also did it again at midnight!!)  It was fun to see the fireworks - I opened up the window of the office to look out as it was just too cold to stand outside!

Our evening was just supposed to be watching TV - Glenn was getting up at 5:00am the next morning to head to the Denver airport to fly out to Sioux Falls, SD!  He was going ice fishing with son Neal and grandson Chance to a few lakes up that way!  And Brad had already left to drive up there the day before!  (Gary and Brad were BOTH supposed to go but after it was planned, Gary couldn't get the time off.)  They had reservations at a nearby hotel up that way and had spent hours and hours planning this trip and spending time at the computer talking to guys about the fishing up that way!

Well, about 8:30 on New Year's Eve, Glenn gets a text that his flight has been cancelled - WHAT?????  Apparently the plane wasn't full enough to do the flight!  I immediately got on the computer and called United and did all those things you're supposed to do when a flight is cancelled!

Of course I had already paid for his luggage both ways but after getting ahold of an agent, she assured me it would all be refunded if we didn't accept the flight they had changed it to, which was the next day and that wouldn't work!!

Flights to Sioux Falls were now at a whopping $384 which Glenn would NOT pay of course!  There wasn't a lot of choice of course - but I did find a ONE way option to Sioux Falls for the 1st AND knowing that Brad was already on his way up there, Glenn could just ride back with him!  SO that's what we did -  booked the one way flight!

He left the next morning (New Year's Day) and came back on the following Tuesday!

Of course what happens when your spouse leaves?  THINGS BREAK DOWN!!

I noticed the next morning that the hot tub seemed to be running ALL the time so I went out and checked it - icy cold - I texted Glenn and he said it was a complicated procedure to reset it but as long as the pump was running it wouldn't freeze!!  I played with the buttons for a minute and then left it - the next morning I did NOT hear it running so rushed out thinking it had frozen overnight - nope - it was warm as could be!!  Whatever I had done seemed to fix it!

Also Saturday morning, I woke up to a cold house - 57 degrees!!  And I noticed as I laid in bed that the furnace would go on for about 30 seconds and then shut off - it did this several times till I felt the air coming out and it was COLD air!!  So much for heat!!  I got the wood stove going well, turned on an electric heater for a while and turned on the fireplace.  Again I texted Glenn and got the same answer  - it was a complicated procedure what needed to be done!!  So I just ran the wood stove (which works pretty darn good!) till he got home and he fixed it!

Glenn had a great time fishing - they didn't catch a lot of fish but enough to bring some home to the freezer!!  Brad got the catch of the day!  Here are a few pics:



We usually go to New Mexico ice fishing and stay in their cute cabins - not happening this year as the governor shut down the state parks to all non-residents - that didn't make us happy!

Glenn probably will only go ice fishing one more time before we head south of the border!  But then he can fish to his hearts' content in the warmth!!

2 comments:

Teri said...

Looks like he had a great time! So sorry for all the problems - always happens when they are away.

Jill said...

Glad he still got to go! Here's to a better year than 2020!