Sunday, December 19, 2021

It's a YMCA Christmas!

 ....just not in our usual place!  Jessi had asked if I would make the reservations this year so when it was time, I tried and tried to make them online but it just wasn't happening!  I ended up calling the reservation desk and they informed me that the YMCA in Estes Park was CLOSING DOWN the week we were planning on going!  WHAT???  She went on to explain that the crew had worked so hard this last year during COVID that they all needed a break - and at that point I completely understood, although I was very disappointed!

But she did suggest going to the other YMCA in Granby - called Snow Mountain Ranch!  I checked the distances to get there from each of our places - it was about the same for the Smiths and us, close to 2 hours for the Keppys which is about the same but the kicker was the Savages - they are only about 45 min from Estes Park which makes it really nice for them since they drive down here for Thanksgiving - but there time was about 2 1/2 hours.  In the end we decided to let Jill and Robby make the final decision and they said YES to Snow Mountain!

Hooray - I booked the two cabins and booked our cabin we share with the Keppys for an extra night, Thursday night!  All was set!  Jessi, Gwyn and Kenzie would come up on Thursday and Gary would wait for Evan (who needed to go to class as he had finals the next week) and they would come up on Friday!

BUT things happen!!  Unfortunately Thanksgiving night Brad wasn't feeling well - and felt even worse on Friday!  Nobody thought much of it since him and Jaime are the only vaccinated ones of the bunch so we didn't even think of COVID!  But he did have it - and then Jaime got it Sat. night - and then Robby, Jill and Aleah came down with it, and then it was Jessi, Gary, Evan and Gwyn!  OH MY!!  Glenn of course had COVID a year ago around Thanksgiving time (which I missed that year as I had to quarantine!) and I must have had it too (although no symptoms) because I didn't get it!  Parker didn't get it and the Keppys think Kenzie had it way last spring!  So it definitely ran through most of the family!  Since I had home tests, I did test myself because I had a couple of large group events to go to and I sure didn't want to infect anybody if I had it - but nope, I was negative!

The GOOD thing about everybody having COVID was it was basically all at the same time - nobody could work and of course all the kids were home from school - some were sicker than others - but all in all they all coped with it well!  AND everybody was basically done with it by the time we went to YMCA with the following Monday the day most of them were heading back to work and school!

SO all of the Keppys got to come up on Thursday along with Glenn and I!  WHEW - that was sure a round about way of letting you know how we got to Snow Mountain!

We had a beautiful drive up - sure a lot prettier going through Breckenridge than Denver!!  The roads were a little slick in places but we took it slow!  The Keppys got up there about 1/2 hour before us and we all met in the parking lot to check in at the Lodge - the two cabins were right beside each other so we were thrilled about that!

We were happy there was a gas fireplace in our place!  Check out our cute little tree and lighted snowflakes on the mantle!


I brought 3 gifts that Gwyn opened up early - color books, colors, activity books, colored pencils, construction paper and markers - she loved opening up them and kept busy!


This is inside the lodge - so pretty!


The list of the cabins up our way - ours was called Tippecanoe and the other was called Chalet!


Lots of snow after it snowed most of Friday!


Silly Glenn!!

We all slept pretty darn good that night after our long drive and unpacking the car!  Our car is always packed when we go with all the presents - and quite empty on the way home!  On to Friday....


3 comments:

Teri said...

Glad no one got too sick and you still got to have your Christmas celebration!

Jill said...

It's always nice you guys can go up a day early! Maybe one year I can join you!

DrKeppy said...

Snow makes everything better!!! Gwyn loved all her extra gifts!