Thursday, February 1, 2024

New Mexico Ice Fishing

 It was time for our annual trip to New Mexico for Glenn to go ice fishing!  Unfortunately the day before I woke up with a bad cold - I wasn't too bad on Wed. but when we left on Thursday, I was feeling pretty rough - luckily I grabbed some dayquil and nyquil along with my microwave heating pad and a cozy blanket to stay warm!

Our trip down was nice - once we get off the interstate, it's a beautiful drive! We even saw a herd of elk so that's always a bonus!  Luckily we could get into the cabin early - Glenn was itching to fish so we unloaded the cabin stuff, grabbed a bite to eat and he was out the door!

I heated up my microwave warmer and when I opened up the door, OH MY GOSH!  The thing had busted open and I had tiny little balls not only all over the microwave but on the floor!  I finally got the microwave free of them and then had to try sweeping them into a pile with this little broom that was in the room - oh my - we found those darn little balls all over every day!

I had BIG plans for getting pictures organized and caught up on my blogging!!!  But I didn't feel great AND the internet that day was non-existent!!  I was excited when Glenn came home to ask how many fish he caught - this is the lake where he ALWAYS gets his limit of 40 perch per day!!

What a shock when he came home and said he only caught 2 fish!!  WOW!  I had brought dinner for that evening so we ate and watched some TV.

I always love the view from the cabin window!


Check out this potato chip I found in the sack!  Almost a perfect heart!


I felt lousy all day so didn't get much done, especially with no internet!

Al and Debra arrived that evening about 6:00, just as Glenn was getting home!  And the fish??  2 again - really?????  That was depressing!!  The 4 of us headed over to the "saloon" for a drink and dinner, only to discover the kitchen was closed due to leaky pipes or whatever!!!

But someone mentioned there was one other place up the street that was open - this town which is very small basically shuts down in the winter so we knew there would be little open in the evenings!  We found the Thai place and it was 6:55 - the place closed at 7:00!  But we peeked our heads in and asked if we could eat and she said of course!  

In the meantime, Robby AND Parker had both texted that Parker had won his first wrestling match - this is a new sport for him and he'd been to a 2 day camp I believe and had practiced a few times but that was it!  We were so proud of him!  Robby called so he could download the video (because Glenn of course wanted to see it and advise Parker since Glenn was a wrestler in high school) and I advised him the internet was not hardly working but he showed me how to use my phone as a hot spot!  That was wonderful as the next day I could blog!

Saturday was actually a tournament out on the lake - I scrolled in so I could see all of the tents out there - pretty cool!


Alan ended up catching a couple of fish, but no perch!  Glenn did NOT even have a bite all day!  He was pretty discouraged!


Even though the fishing wasn't great at all, the guys and Debra had a fun time fishing!  The saloon was open that night but we opted to sit in the restaurant portion since the music was SO LOUD!  Dinner was just OK - nothing to write home about!


We packed up the next morning and headed home!   Here's a picture of the Spanish Peaks!  Beautiful!

Glenn decided he's not going back to Eagle Nest for fishing - he thinks the lake is just fished out and needs to be stocked!  Who knows?  So he'll be on the lookout for another great fishing spot for perch!

3 comments:

DrKeppy said...

So sorry we shared our awful cold!! UGH! Glad you had a decent time, darn there weren't any more fish!

Teri said...

Sorry it wasn't much fun!! Hate colds!

Jill said...

So crazy he didn't catch much, especially compared to last year!