Monday, November 24, 2008

Christmas Time's A Comin'

Gosh, the season is ALMOST upon us!! I know, I know, Thanksgiving comes FIRST!! And don't get me wrong - I LOVE Thanksgiving!! But since our BIG shopping day is the day after Turkey Day, one MUST get organized and get in the Christmas spirit early!

I feel like all I've done the past week is make lists - the Turkey Day menu and what I need to bring, the shopping list for the food, my Christmas list, a list of what I've ALREADY bought the kids and grandkids (which I would be SURE to forget if I didn't have it down on a list), a list of things to take to Jaime's for the Thanksgiving holiday, and the never-ending list of things to do at the house!

We knew it was going to be a work weekend once again - but this was one I really didn't mind! Saturday I stained the trim, door frames and doors in the lower level - one more major project to cross off that list! And then I cooked and froze 4 casseroles for Jessi and Gary to have when the new baby is born!

Friends Martin and Joleen came over late afternoon for dinner - they hadn't seen the completed basement yet and Martin really appreciated it as he had seen the basement at its' worst! We had a fun evening playing pool and eating manicotti for dinner - AND this yummy new recipe that I tried and loved! It's really easy to make - but beware - it's SUPER RICH!! Cut cheesecake type slices and have the coffee or milk handy!







Turtle Pumpkin Pie

1/4 cup plus 2 T. caramel ice cream topping, divided
1 Honey Maid graham cracker pie crust
1/2 cup plus 2 T. pecan pieces, divided
1 cup cold milk
2 pkg (3.4 oz) jello vanilla instant pudding
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. ground nutmeg
1 tub (8 oz) cool whip, thawed, divided

Pour 1/4 cup caramel topping into crust; sprinkle with 1/2 cup pecans. Beat the milk, pudding mixes, pumpkin and spices with whisk until blended. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cools whip. Spread into crust. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Top with remaining cool whip, caramel topping and pecans just before serving!

And what exciting plans did I have for Sunday? I decorated the house for Christmas! Yes, it took me all day - yes, I loved every moment of it - yes, I had the Christmas music going on each level!

There was total joy in my eyes this year as I decorated! 1) The basement was finished so I could decorate the ENTIRE house, and 2) Getting to my 7 storage tubs of decorations was SO EASY!

In our old house, the only storage in the house was up in the attic with the pull-type down steps - there was NO WAY the huge tubs would fit up those steps easily. So all 8 tubs (I've downsized to 7 now - he he!) had to go under the house - way back in - and it's just a crawl space so you couldn't stand up - you literally had to be bent over and drag all 8 tubs across the gravel floor for quite a ways and then lift them out into the garage. It was a job that Glenn and I just hated!

Now I have a nice, large storage room in the lower level with wonderful shelves that Glenn has built - the room is large enough so he can set the tubs on the floor and I can unpack in there and take a basket load out at a time! It worked PERFECT yesterday and was just a joy to decorate!

We will wait and put the tree up after Thanksgiving - but it's nice knowing the decorating of the house is done, just in case the new little one decides to arrive RIGHT after Turkey Day!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! I know I am TRULY BLESSED!

3 comments:

ahh bear said...

Wow! That looks SO yummy!!!

DrKeppy said...

I can't wait to see the house all decorated! And YUM are you going to bring a piece of that pie for me at Thanksgiving?!! j/k

Teri said...

You are way ahead of me. I won't put up any decorations until after Thanksgiving (or at least the afternoon of Thanksgiving). But I have already listened to Christmas music at work and watched my first Christmas movie last night :)