Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Not So Great Way To End The Month!

September 30th kept creeping closer and closer - it was the day I had booked for the dentist to pull my tooth!


I don't have good teeth at all - not that I don't take care of them because I do - guess it's a hereditary thing. But needless to say, at my last dentist appointment a couple of weeks ago, I told the dentist that I had a tooth that was bothering me when I drank or ate cold and hot things! He took an x-ray and informed me that there was severe bone decay around the tooth - darn it anyway! Of course at this point there are 3 choices: pull it and do nothing, do a root canal and try to save the tooth, or pull it and do a dental implant!

The tooth was at the back of my mouth so that was a good thing! At least it wouldn't really affect my smile if I pulled it! And there was no doubt in my mind that it WAS going to be pulled because I was not going to do a root canal - to me, with my history of bone decay, doing a root canal (which might not even take) was not worth the money! So the decision was made to just pull it and at a later date, think about doing an implant!

So the day arrived and I was more nervous than ever about this tooth being pulled - you see, I've had several teeth pulled ( I wear a partial where the missing teeth were) and I don't usually do very well with them - I almost always ended up with a dry socket and those were painful!

But it actually went VERY well - it's been many years since I had a tooth pulled and I guess with new technology and all, it was a whole lot better than before!! It was fast, easy (the tooth all came out in one piece) and painless - that was the best part!! The dentist showed me the tooth and commented that I made the right decision as the tooth was bad enough that it wouldn't have made it through a root canal - whew! For once, I was right..............

I spent the evening on the couch catching up with some shows and actually watched a movie too! I slept great also and even though I'm not moving as fast today as I normally do, I know I'll be back to normal in a few days!

3 comments:

DrKeppy said...

You didn't tell me you were having a tooth pulled!!! I'm glad everything turned out ok!

ahh bear said...

I must get my bad teeth genes from the Gran side ... they have "deep pits" and are prone to cavities!! I swear I've had almost all of them filled!

Teri said...

Glad it went so well! I haven't had a tooth pulled since my wisdom teeth, many years ago!