Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Belize - In The Air Again!

We woke up Sunday morning to a beautiful sunrise and this view from our little cabin!!
Glenn was already out on the dock fishing but not having any luck - we all met for breakfast and since the sun was shining, it was time to snorkel!!! We headed back to our cabins to change and I kept hearing this pounding sound - it was the guys in this boat who were taking the conch out of the shells!!! What a sight!! Check out their piles of shells!!!
We headed out to snorkel - I had purchased a cheap mask at Walmart - big mistake!! It wouldn't seal around my face so I kept getting salt water in my eyes and nose! Not fun!! And since I've only snorkeled really one time, I wasn't very good at it so needed a lot of practice!! After seeing me struggle time and time again, I tried Joleen's mask and oh my, what a world of difference that made!! I caught right on then and soon I was snorkeling around Belize's barrier reef - the second longest in the world!!! We saw lots of blue, yellow and purple fish and some beautiful coral and that was enough to get me excited!!!
But it was time to pack up, eat a quick lunch and take one more picture of our view before we headed to the boat for our trip back to Dangriga!!
The boat ride was beautiful in the daytime and we all greatly enjoyed it!! Then it was once again, the quick taxi ride to the airport!! Here's a picture of their terminal!!! Yes, a one room terminal and of course we were the only ones there as we had an hour wait before our plane would arrive!!
It was a LONG hour as we were all so excited to get to our final destination, Ambergris Caye!! But first we had to fly back into Belize City and THEN another short plane ride to Am. Caye!! Soon our little plane arrived and the guy in the terminal said he had great news for us - since there were just the 4 of us, our pilot was taking us directly to Ambergris Caye - no layover in Belize City!!!
Wow - did we ever feel special with our own "private" plane!!! This one was REALLY tiny - it just seated a total of 7 people!!
Glenn and I were seated behind Martin and Joleen and the pilot asked us if we wanted to fly right over the reef - OF COURSE WE WANTED TO!!! It was absolutely breathtaking!!! We were flying right over this beautiful water and reef and had a birds eye view of it all!! Then he turned and asked if anybody wanted to sit up front with him!! Joleen said she didn't want to so I immediately crawled up there, fastened my seat belt and felt EXTREMELY important sitting in the co-pilot's seat!! Here is one of the pictures taken from the plane!!
And how neat is this picture??? I was smiling so much I thought my face was going to crack as the pilot pointed out special things in the water below - wow - probably something none of us will ever experience again!!!
Before we knew it, we were flying over Ambergris Caye and what a thrill to be in that front seat when the pilot landed that little plane!! It's something I'll never forget!!!
We found a taxi to take us to our home for the next 7 nights - Seven Seas - where Joleen and Martin have a time share at and where we booked a condo for the week!! It was hot and humid and after finally deciding which condo we wanted (we chose one on the second floor), the air was turned on and we unpacked our suitcases, finally!!
Next it was down to the bar where I had a fantastic pina colada and we started to relax on this paradise island!! It wasn't long before Glenn, Martin and a skipper started making plans for their fishing trip the next day!
Dinner that evening was at Caramba's - and the garlic shrimp was excellent!! Over dinner we made our plans for the week and it was GREAT to sleep in an air-conditioned bedroom that night - the humidity was pretty intense during the day and I was certainly glad the condo had air!!
Right next to my side of the bed was a reading lamp - the owners MUST have known I was coming!!! To Be Cont'd..................

2 comments:

Patty Jensen said...

Oh Becky how beautiful and what a wonderfuly flight you had - I am jealous :) Can't wait for the next blog!!!

DrKeppy said...

Wow - gorgeous pictures! The ones from the plane remind me of Fiji! What an awesome experience! I can't believe how many conch shells there are there!