Monday, October 31, 2011

It's Official................

As of December 31st, I will be unemployed - yes, my boss Gary has made the decision and will be retiring at the end of the year! And it IS a final decision as he has already contacted Farmers Insurance to let them know!

Another Farmers agent in town (who will be handling all of Gary's accounts) is actually going to move into OUR office and rent it from Gary - that will make it convenient for all of our policyholders! She is very excited about the move and has been over several times to look at the office and make her plans!

How do I feel???? Sad and happy at the same time! Sad that I will be done working for Gary as I've been with him for 21 1/2 years - sad that my journey as an insurance agent will probably be over - sad in that I will miss a lot of my clients who come in every month to pay their bill - and sad that the "routine" that I've known all these years will now be different!

Happy in that I AM getting tired of the insurance business, the new rules and regulations and "fighting" the system every step of the way and knowing I will NOT have to deal with that day in and day out - happy in the aspect of starting in on something new - and happy that I will have more "freedom" in my new environment!

So what am I going to do? I will be filing for unemployment first of all - after working for the last 38 years, I feel I am entitled to that paycheck! And I will be helping Glenn with his granite business (without pay of course!)

Besides cleaning his office and showroom from top to bottom and organizing his files and getting a system in place for his new clients, I will be manning the showroom. Yes, I need to brush up on my granite knowledge (I guess it's a little more than brushing up since I don't know much at all) and be able to help people that walk in the door with questions, leaving Glenn more time for actually "selling" and fabricating. And I can answer the phone and field his calls!

Right now when Glenn has to install, he has to close the office because his employees go with him. I'll fill that void as I will be THERE at the office in case a prospective client comes in - he has talked to several people that have stopped in when he was gone and ended up just going somewhere else for their granite - I can alleviate that problem!

I also will have some "free" time - after I get everything organized and in place, there probably won't be a lot to do until a client comes in - I hope to take my scrap booking things in and get caught up on that - I'm over a year behind............And there's always a good book ready to be read!!

How will Glenn and I work together? Probably not well at all -ha ha!! He and I are complete opposites on work related issues - I am the neat, organized, get it done NOW type of person and Glenn is the exact opposite!! I'm sure we'll butt heads many times but the nice part is that my office will be on the 2nd floor and the showroom and fabrication department are on the main floor so I can always escape to my "hideaway" if need be!!

The countdown is on! Just 2 more months to go that I know will fly by as the holiday season is approaching soon!

Changes - that's what life is all about!

5 comments:

Patty Jensen said...

Changes - we all go through them don't we? I was so surprised when I read how long you had worked for Gary!! You have had a "neat" job in some aspects - having time to work on the Gran vacations, various time-off packages, etc - Gary always seemed to be "good" to you when you needed/wanted time off - yes you will miss him and your job but whoo whoo - now it is time for YOU - I hope you and your new boss get along :) Congrats on your upcoming semi-retirement!! You will be great at helping out Glenn!!!

Teri said...

Congratulations! I know you will love your new schedule. Can't wait to hear all about your new career.

DrKeppy said...

Oh my gosh that is HUGE news!!! I am excited for your new venture!! And that means we get to steal you up to Denver more often right???

DrKeppy said...

Oh and I absolutely LOVE the new blog look and especially the font - you picked a great one!

Unknown said...

hope you like your new changes