Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Multnomah Falls

It rains in the Northwest - not a heavy downpour but a misty drizzle and sometimes it rains all day - such was the case on Friday!
Glenn and Rene were scheduled to do a guided fishing trip on the Colombia River but it was cancelled due to the lousy weather - darn - I checked that suitcase on the plane with those heavy boots and coat for nothing..............
After sleeping in till almost 10:00 (that has to be a record - we NEVER sleep that long!!) and eating a hearty breakfast, we decided to go for a drive! Even though it was misty out, we loved driving around and seeing the beautiful surroundings!!
I had just worn my leather coat which is not lined and I about froze during the day!! Guess I forgot what DAMP COLD feels like!! But I did remember my umbrella and we used it!
Our first stop was Multnomah Falls which is the nation's second highest year round waterfall as it plummets 620 feet from its origins on Larch Mountain!! It was GORGEOUS!!! I loved walking up on the bridge and getting sprayed with the water!! Keep in mind the pictures aren't great since it was raining out..........

Glenn sure looks a whole lot warmer than I was!!

One of the items that intrigued me was all the moss growing on the trees - wow - I could have snapped pictures all day long!!
Here's our bunch as we're leaving the waterfall! There was a super nice gift shop at the falls and I not only bought my Christmas ornament but also my bookmark - I'm WAY ahead of the game!
Next we stopped at the fish hatchery and they had an awesome museum that we looked around for quite a while!!
We fed the fish and walked around outside the hatchery but it was so darn cold that we didn't last very long!!! Lunch was at this neat restaurant that overlooked the river - gosh, I could have sat there all day and looked out!!
The huge, long bridges over the Columbia are a sight to see - and there are lots of them too!! This one was taken from the restaurant!
We spent the evening just visiting and watching some TV but managed to stay up again till after midnight - what a fun day!!

3 comments:

Teri said...

Love the waterfall - how cool.

Patty Jensen said...

Brings back memories of when Amy lived out there - such beautiful scenary - so glad you got to go!!!

ahh bear said...

Wow! The waterfall and the moss tree were so neat!!