Tuesday, August 21, 2012

That's Where The Tall Corn Grows!!!

Iowa - not somewhere a lot of people go for vacation but Glenn and I make it a point every year to get back at least once to see our families!  We flew out late afternoon on Thursday and for once I DON'T HAVE AN AIRPORT STORY!!!  Can you believe it?  It was smooth sailing up to Denver, parking the car, taking the shuttle to the airport and climbing aboard the plane!!  I LOVE this short flight - about 1 1/2 hours!

It's always a shock to get off the plane in Omaha into their small airport - it's so nice to just walk without having to dodge people and get where you're going in a matter of minutes!  We rented a car or I should say a jeep liberty and headed up the interstate to Patty and Leonard's place!
It was talk, talk, talk before we headed to bed that first night and I slept like a log!!

Friday morning it was coffee time!!  Patty had bought an espresso maker so we compared notes on how we make it and soon I was sipping a wonderful cup of mocha!!  It was pretty enough that I had to take a picture!!

Believe it or not, the Iowa temps were quite unusually cool when we were there and we sat on Patty's deck in the sun, talking the morning away!!  I had to hear about their Hawaii trip and see all the pictures they had taken!!

That evening the 4 of us plus Jim and Brenda headed out for dinner and then went back to Patty's to discuss our upcoming trip in Feb. - it's always a hard decision to decide where to go but we THINK we have it down to 2 places!  Time will tell............
Saturday we headed over to Neal's place (Glenn's son) for lunch - we had brought elk hamburger and fish from Mexico to grill and we had a great time visiting with everybody!!  It was fun to see Nedelle who is Todd's little girl - she's in the 3rd grade this year!

And we got to meet Chance, Neal and Jen's little boy who is a year old!  He is one cutie!!

Here's Todd, Glenn and Neal before we headed back to Patty's!
After we arrived back in Soldier, Patty and I headed down to her daughter Cheri's store where we had fun trying on lots of clothes!  What a cute store it is and of course I couldn't leave without buying a couple of tops and a new pair of bling flip flops!

Leonard grilled up some delicious steaks that night for dinner and Jim and Brenda stopped back by too - Jim brought a whole sack full of drink mix and limes and proceeded to make caboritas which was a drink he had in Mexico when we went to Cabo - isn't it a pretty color?  Reminds me of the ocean!

And before we left Patty's on Sunday morning, of course I had to have a picture of the two of us!!  It's always hard to leave her house as we have so much fun but the good news is that I'll see her again in a couple of months when we take a sisters trip!
Well good ole' blogger is not allowing any posts below this last picture so I'll have to finish my blog!
We headed down to Glenn's mom next - she already had some company and by noon his 3 sisters had arrived loaded down with food!  YUM!!  I ate and ate and still left plenty of room for a piece of fresh peach crisp (made with Colorado peaches!)!  I LOVE peach crisp and hadn't made any yet this year so enjoyed eating it.  In fact, Deanna left the rest of it there so I could enjoy another piece before bedtime and one in the morning!
All too soon it was time to head out by noon on Monday - a short trip but we did get to see all of the family and that's what counts!!

4 comments:

Jill said...

The drink looks great! Send the recipe my way!

DrKeppy said...

I can't believe you blogged your whole trip in ONE blog! For whatever reason your new background will NOT show up on my desktop at home so can't read anything (I think it's just that the computer is too slow to load it!). Nedelle looks like Todd!!! Glad your trip was good!

Anonymous said...

Oh your pics were so good of the other side of the family - we DID have a good time didn't we!!!

Teri said...

Sounds like so much fun! Wish I could have been there but will see you in a few months! Emily also has trouble with your new background - funny how some computers won't display it correctly.