Monday, May 30, 2016

Kansas Fishing Trip

FINALLY - it was time to act retired and go on a trip!  We planned a fishing trip to Cedar Bluff State Park outside of Wakeeney, Ks and headed out for a 6 night stay!

I enjoyed planning the meals and packing the 5th wheel with everything we would need - Glenn handled all the "getting ready" part of the truck, 5th wheel and boat!  Yes, we would be pulling both the 5th wheel and the boat!

It did take a little bit of maneuvering to get everything hooked up and WOW did we look long - that's because we were - 65 feet long to be exact!  I could hardly get a picture!

 Luckily the drive out was uneventful!  We did stop about 4 times the first hour to check everything out but it was all pulling nicely and people seemed to stay out of our way!  Glenn had the bright idea to put a sign on the back that said "student driver" - I thought "senior driver" would be better!!  Of course we didn't though..............

We stopped at the nicest rest area I have ever been to right inside the Kansas line - I do have to say that Kansas has nice rest areas - I sure can't say that for Colorado!!  They had a huge info center and handed you a nice road map and info when you walked in and had free coffee and lots of info to browse through!

It did take us a lot longer to get there than what I expected - mainly due to the fact that we couldn't go 75 mph and it was windy - oh that Kansas wind - we fought it the entire time we were there!!  Of course since it was the middle of the week, we had the campground to ourselves.  We opted to do the wilderness section so we couldn't plug in but Glenn had the generator and we had a can to get extra water so knew that wouldn't be a problem!  Glenn picked out the spot we wanted and soon we were set up!

He was up bright and early to go fishing despite the wind!  See this big window at the back of the 5th wheel?  I spent most of my time sitting in front of it in the easy chair reading!!

 And I had a nice view of the lake!!

 Yes, I would have rather been outside reading but the wind was bad - I had rolled out the awning to sit underneath but had to roll it right  back up as I was sure the wind was going to rip it!  So between the horrible wind and the cloudy dark weather, I spent most of the time inside the trailer!  But I wasn't complaining - I had books to read!!

I loved looking at all these dead trees in the lake - Glenn enjoyed fishing around them although he did snag a lot!

 Friday morning we were up and going pretty early (but found out the clock in the 5th wheel was losing time so we were later than we thought!) and headed to Salina to visit my good friend Joleen!!  It was about a 2 hour drive there and we picked up Joleen and headed out to Derek and Becca's business!  I had been there before but Glenn wanted the tour and was quite impressed with all the cars Derek was working on and the ones in the showroom!

 It was great seeing Becca and her kids again too!  Then we went back to Joleen's house for lunch!  Joleen has bought a really nice house and I was so glad I finally got to see it!  Her garden and flowers out back are beautiful!!



 Since Joleen was driving out to our campsite to spend the night and fish, Glenn headed back to fish and I stayed awhile with Joleen.  She took me to the place where she works part time, a really cool store with a little bit of everything in it and then to the garden plot where she has put in a lot of time with the master gardeners.  The plot was really pretty with all the flowers and shrubs!

 We headed back to the campsite then and stopped so I could take a picture of this Lutheran limestone church out in the country - it was pretty unique looking!!

It was SO windy when we got out there that Joleen opted not to fish that evening but just hang out with me and play games!  We all got a great nights' sleep and of course woke up to cool weather and wind again the next day........................To Be Cont'd

2 comments:

DrKeppy said...

Yay for FINALLY having a camping trip!! Glad you didn't have to drive! :)

Teri said...

I can't believe you pulled all of that! WOW! But so happy you are finally able to enjoy retirement!