Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Does The Wind EVER Stop Blowing In Kansas?

We were really hoping for some nice weather on Saturday but that didn't happen!  The sun did come out a little bit in the afternoon so Joleen headed out with Glenn to see what they could catch!

 Yes, that's a snake above - a bull snake as we used to call them in Iowa!  My exercise each day was to walk the 1 mile nature trail - it's a great hard packed trail through a few trees and then through a meadow.  There are signs all along the way for you to read on the different animals, terrain and plants.  So each morning and each evening I would walk it ( most of the time in the WIND) and that way I could still eat all I wanted to and not feel bad about it!!

As I was walking the path, luckily I saw the snake before I stepped on it as it slithered right in front of me!!  And later that day, I saw another snake as I was looking out the front window of the 5th wheel - it went right by the picnic table and down into the grass!  YIKES - I am NOT fond of snakes!!

Joleen didn't catch any fish but Glenn caught enough that we could make a meal out of it before Joleen headed back to Salina!

Sunday was Glenn's 64th birthday!  He celebrated by going fishing - his favorite past time!!


 I spent Sunday and Monday just reading - actually read 4 books while I was in Kansas!!  We did get a little bit of sun one day so I hightailed it out of the camper and caught a few rays!

Sunday night a horrible wind storm came through - I thought the 5th wheel was going to go flying at times!!  But it soon passed..................

Another view of our campsite.
 Monday dawned BEAUTIFUL with very little wind!!  Glenn was so happy to NOT have to fight the wind all day - and it was the first night (and only night) we got to have a campfire!!

 And there was a gorgeous sunset that evening!

 Tuesday morning it was time to load the boat back up (he left it in the water right below our campsite each evening) and the wind came up big time but he did get it loaded OK.

 Once again, we hooked it all up and were set to head back to Colorado!

We had just got on the interstate when Glenn thought he saw something fly out the back from the corner of his eye - we pulled over as he thought it was his fishing net but it wasn't so he assumed it was his imagination.  When we got home and I went out later that evening to get my makeup bag, I saw the screen by my side of the bed just hanging so went to fix it and lo and behold, the ENTIRE WINDOW was gone....................somehow it must have came unhooked and the wind must have caught it just right and ripped it off - that's what Glenn had seen!  So now we have to find a new window for the 5th wheel!  Other than that and the unrelenting wind, it was a great trip!!!

2 comments:

DrKeppy said...

Glad you had a great trip despite the wind! How strange that the window blew off -dang it!

Teri said...

Happy belated birthday Glenn! Sounds like a great trip except for the wind. Oh to relax and read - someday:)