Thursday, October 12, 2017

Scouting In Walden, CO

Glenn decided to go on one more hunt this fall with our neighbors so wanted to scout the area a little before they all headed up.  He had hunted with Robby and Brad at Walden last year so knew the area somewhat!  Since we had taken the 5th wheel on our fall trip, we decided to book a hotel for our 2 nights stay!

I found a really nice one online (not much to choose from in this very small town) and booked it as soon as I knew we were going!

We headed out on a Wednesday morning (yes, 2 days after I got home from NYC!!) with plenty of warm clothes, pulling the ATV behind us!  The drive was beautiful as they had gotten snow up north and we stopped for coffee in Fairplay! 

Lots of snow up on Hoosier Pass!!

  
I was hoping we could check into our room early before we went ATVing but it wasn't ready yet - we ate at the lodge cafe which was part of the hotel and it was excellent!!  The setting was very rustic with lots of stone and wood - my type of place!

We headed out to ATV and couldn't believe how much snow there was!! Awesome views!


There had been quite the storm up here - lots of branches and trees down and since we didn't have a chain saw along, we had to turn around on every trail we were on!  Most of the time we were going through 6" of snow!!

 I stayed plenty warm with my layers of clothes and we had a fun time!  Back to Walden and time to check in!  When we got to the room, I noticed the frig and microwave were both unplugged along with the TV so got it all plugged in and decided to try everything before I unpacked!  And the TV wouldn't hook up to Direct!  Went down and told the gal and she got the maintenance guy up to look at it and he couldn't figure it out so called a computer guy to come over.  In the meantime, the super nice owner came up and said they would need to work on the tv and would we mind moving - I said of course not - and she said they were booked solid on their rooms but would we mind a suite at no extra cost???  Uh, no not at all!!

The suite was very nice - a beautiful bathroom and huge bedroom along with this nice living room!


I loved the chandelier at the Moose Creek Cafe!!


Thursday we went out ATVing again at a different place - still lots of snow but beautiful views!!


We stopped at the Moose Overlook, hoping to see a moose but of course didn't see one!


This is the moose bull along with an elk antler chandelier - loved it!!  We had great meals both nights!


Glenn and I headed out Friday mid-morning after a good breakfast - Glenn told me to keep looking out the window for a moose so my nose was plastered to the window watching!!  And guess what - I SAW ONE!!!  It was lying down so not a great picture but it just happened to be right at a pull-off so Glenn got stopped in time and backed up so we could watch it.  Couldn't get it to stand but at least I got to see one!!!

We had stopped at the Moose Visitor Center earlier on our way out of town and it was very interesting to read all about them.  They had a life sized moose in there and wow are those things big!!


Our drive down the winding Poudre Canyon was gorgeous - the leaves were turned and it's one of the prettiest drives I've been on!!  I think I'll have to plan a fall trip over this way!!

We stopped and had a picnic at a stream and then headed on to Ft. Collins for the weekend!!


No comments: