Monday, October 2, 2017

Sisters Trip 2017 - NEW YORK CITY

After all the planning, the researching, and the endless hours spent on the computer booking our trip, it FINALLY arrived!

New York City - here we come!!  I headed to Denver the day before and spent some precious time with Jessi's family before heading to the airport the next morning!  At this stage of my life, I DETEST driving in the dark!  And my flight was early enough that I had to drive in the dark the next morning - but did it have to rain too?  I had the directions to the parking place (we have found a new one that we really like!!) put on my phone but even then I missed one turn because it was so dark and rainy!  But I made it and that's all that counts!

Patty and Teri arrived earlier than I did but we all met up and headed outside to meet the driver that was picking us up - his name was Manny and was originally from Cuba!  Very fun to talk to BUT hard to understand as his accent was so strong!  Accents are NOT my strong suit!

I had booked us an apartment through VRBO in Union City, NJ - right across the bridge from Manhattan.  It was very reasonable to rent and the best part was we each had our own bed!!  Besides the king bed in the bedroom, the living room had 3 couches that were hide a beds so we quickly unpacked and set up the beds!

Our "ride" into Manhattan was on the "chicken" bus, as dubbed that by the people that ride it I guess!  We walked 1/2 block and it picked us up in a minute - I believe the most we ever waited for it was 3 or 4 minutes!  By that time of day, traffic was pretty bad and we got our first taste of how New Yorkers drive!!  CRAZY!!!!!

The bus was cheap to ride - $3.00 per person each way - and you just handed the driver your money each time you got on!  Most of the people riding the bus were workers but it worked out perfect for us!

We sure knew we were in NYC when we stepped off that bus - honking taxis, blaring sirens, loud buses and lots and lots and lots of people......................It was pretty shocking to the system!

Teri was our navigator for the trip and she does an excellent job of reading the maps and knowing where we needed to go - we had our itinerary all typed out (with tickets purchased in advance for most of the sightseeing) and she led the way every day!!

After dinner, we headed for our first tour which was the hop on hop off bus tour for a night tour of New York!!  We sat on the top and were glad we had our jackets!

Of course we were amazed by all the skyscrapers - and I can't imagine living in one of those, all those stories high!!  Times Square - a VERY busy place!



The bus ride was fun and our guide told us names of most of the buildings which of course I don't remember!


See the people on the street?  There were people everywhere!  Hundreds of people - and you feel like you're dodging people all the time!

 This was a cool looking building!

 This picture reminds me of being on a movie set!!

 Traffic - traffic - traffic!!!  There was never a lack of it! 


Patty and Teri on the bus -we were all snapping away but our cameras couldn't begin to capture the beauty of the NYC skyline!



Our feet were tired once we got back to our apartment - especially when Teri told us we had walked about 5 miles...................sleep didn't come easy to me that night with the 2 hour time change!  And I knew it was going to be an EARLY morning too! 

2 comments:

Teri said...

Can't wait to read all about our trip - it was fantastic! But tiring :)

Jill said...

Wow busy and beautiful!