Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Surgery

Not a fun word but yes it happened!

After Jaime was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, I went to get checked out even before Jaime had her surgery last Nov - and the dr found a nodule in my thyroid!

I did the mandatory ultrasounds and a couple of biopsies  - along with the required blood work (which came out just fine) - but the biopsy showed suspicious papillary cancer, exactly what Jaime had.

Thyroid cancer is a very slow growing cancer (usually) and I didn't even know if I had cancer but the dr said at least 1/2 had to come out and if the preliminary report showed no cancer, then that would be it.  I wasn't happy to have 1/2 of my thyroid removed (when it seemed to be working just fine) but there is always that chance that it IS cancer and I certainly didn't want it to spread!

I set the surgery date for April 23rd and we went out on our Mexico trip without a care in the world!!  But as soon as Easter was over, it was time to head to the hospital for the surgery!

Jaime was there with me along with Glenn and they kept me laughing till it was time to head into the operating room!


I was NOT happy when I woke up in recovery to find out that the nodule was cancerous and the dr and pathologist felt the other 1/2 needed to come out since the cancer margins were so close to the other 1/2.  Oh well - not much choice I guess.............

I did have to spend the first night in the hospital which is never fun but was home the next day by noon - Jessi and Gwyn were waiting for me and Jaime came over for the rest of the day!

The picture below was actually taken the morning BEFORE surgery as Jaime brought over beautiful plants and goodies for me!


One of my gorgeous flower arrangements!


Jaime and I had fun doing the "cute" pictures that afternoon and you can see my incision.  Sure wish I had this nice smooth face!!


Jessi, Gwyn and Jaime took excellent care of me - I'm not used to being waited on so it was a real treat to just ask for something and it would be delivered to me!!


Jill came down for the weekend and took over my care!!  It was so nice of all 3 girls to help me out along with Glenn who was more than willing to help also!

I am doing great - still sleeping in the recliner as lying flat doesn't feel good yet but I'm off the pain pills and will see my dr on Friday!  In the meantime, I'm getting lots of reading done and will probably go stir crazy in the next couple of days!!

2 comments:

Teri said...

So glad you are feeling better! Can't wait to get together in 2 weeks!

Jill said...

So glad your are recovering well from surgery! It was my please to come help you!