Wednesday, August 26, 2020

A Tribute To Lolly

 Both of our sets of parents are now gone - it's kind of a strange feeling knowing that Glenn and I are now the oldest in our immediate families.  But time marches on as we all well know!

Because Glenn and I have from the beginning not lived in Iowa together as a family, we only got back to see the Iowa relatives once a year or so.  But lots of memories arise as I think of the times we used to see her out on the farm!

Lolly taught me the card game "Eight" which I play almost every time I see the Denver and Ft. Collin grand kids!  And now every time we play it, you can be sure that I will think of her!

I remember looking for 4 leaf clovers with her - looking at her "ledger" which listed all of her grandkids names and birthdates and then on to include the great grand kids and their birthdates - sleeping in her "purple" guestroom and the lumpy double mattress that we never got a good nights' sleep on - admiring her huge aluminum collection that she so enjoyed collecting over the years - looking at her extremely large corkboard along one entire wall which had her kids' graduation pictures at the top and under each one were pictures that had been given to her of grandkids and great grandkids - sitting at the kitchen table for hours with her telling story after story and drinking coffee - wearing "red hats" when the family had professional pictures taken one year at Blue Lake - introducing me to my now favorite salad which is called veggie salad - admiring her coupon organization when she and one of her daughters did "coupon clipping" and would sometimes go shopping for huge amounts of food and end up only paying a few dollars - listening to stories she would recount when she was Postmaster in town.

Lolly - you will be missed - but you're out of pain now with a clear mind!


Rest in peace for your time on earth has come to an end.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Beautifully written...it brought up many memories for me of Grandma!

Teri said...

What lovely memories! And yes it is strange to realize you are now the oldest - Jay and I have been in that position for quite some time.