Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Iowa Bound

 It was with heavy hearts when Glenn received the phone call that his mom had passed away on the 12th of August.  We were expecting it but not quite this soon.  Between her dementia and the newly found lung cancer that was recently discovered, it was a blessing to find out she had passed.

We headed to Iowa that Saturday, knowing that Patty and Leonard were taking off Monday morning for vacation and we wanted to spend some time with them before they left!  No matter how fast and hard we drive, it always seems to take about 11 hours!  And the older we get, the harder it is to make it in one day!

It was great to see Patty and Leonard and both of our nephews who live close by!  Patty and I talked a mile a minute to get everything said before they would take off Monday morning!  



I always enjoy going out to the South Church and walking through the cemetery.  I snapped a picture of Grandma and Grandpa Gran's grave just so I would have a copy in my blog.  I'm always amazed that even though Grandpa lived to be 76, Grandma lived an ADDITIONAL 30 years after he died - that's a long time!!


And I can never take enough pictures of this beautiful church that holds so many memories for me!



After our church stop, we went to a friends house who makes the gnomes.  If you recall, I bought a couple of them last year and absolutely LOVE not only the one who sits in my kitchen but also my 4th of July one!   This time I wanted a Christmas one and a fall one - unfortunately she didn't have any fall ones made up but I snagged this darling Christmas gnome!

Patty and Leonard took off Monday morning - Glenn headed out to the farm to pick some sweet corn (to the tune of 100 ears!!!!!) and was also gathering tomatoes from the locals!  We headed to Onawa around lunchtime and had a nice lunch at the cafe with Geri and Carl and Deanna.

Tuesday was the funeral - it was held at the Christian Church in Onawa with a nice attendance.  It's always great to see all of the extended family and catch up with people you haven't seen in a while.  After the burial at the cemetery in Blencoe, we headed back to the Country Club for lunch and then back to Geri's to open cards.  

That evening we went out to eat with Jim and Brenda - a great Mexican meal and fun to catch up with them.  Early Wednesday morning Glenn loaded all the vegetables into the back end of the car and once again we were on the road home!


2 comments:

Teri said...

So sorry for your loss but great you got to be there for the funeral. What a quick trip!

Jill said...

I'm glad the funeral went well and you got to see a lot of family.