Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Elk Summer Sausage

 Did I mention in any previous blogs that Glenn got an elk?  If not, he did!  It was an easy hunt over on our friends' property and Glenn did all of the cutting up and wrapping.

But a couple days ago it was time to make summer sausage - Glenn borrowed a really nice meat grinder from our neighbor and we spent a couple of hours grinding and making the sausage!


We did several packages of elk burger also - with the understanding that if we loved the sausage, we would thaw out the packets of burger and make more sausage!!

I was impressed with the tools used to fill the casing - so easy!!  I would push the meat down through the grinder and Glenn would fill the tubes!  I was NOT impressed with clean up though - I never am - it always takes a while with sticky meat tools and pans!


The next day Glenn smoked the rolls in the smoker - he must have done an excellent job of it because the summer sausage is REALLY good!!  I mean SUPER GOOD!!  I was very happy with it!

Glenn ended up cutting the rolls in thirds and vacuum sealing them before freezing - we'll be enjoying them for the next few months!

3 comments:

Teri said...

Sounds great!!

Jill said...

Mmm, I'd like to try some!

DrKeppy said...

Yay! Brings back memories of packaging meat growing up....!!