Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Ice Fishing In New Mexico

 The rescheduled trip to New Mexico for ice fishing was a GO - yes, the ice was thick enough (although not for ATV's)!  Glenn and I headed down on Thursday morning - I had called to see if I could do an early check in to our cabin and she said it was no problem, so we arrived by 1:00!  This picture is rounding the corner with a view of the lake before you get into Eagle Nest.


Glenn and I quickly unpacked the car and he headed out to fish - I got the unpacking organized and of course a book was calling me by this point, so you KNOW what I did!

He had a successful first day!



I had brought dinner for that evening so we just stayed in the cabin!  Glenn always goes to bed early since he gets up so early!  The separate bedroom was pretty darn cold as the wall heater didn't reach much into there so we were both cold in bed that night - so we definitely switched that up for the next couple of nights and we were fine!

I guess one of the reasons we were cold was because of THIS TEMP that Glenn took a picture of when he got out to the car!!!  BRRRRRR!


I'm glad it was HIM out fishing and not me!  I took a short walk about 10:00 but it was only 7 degrees by that time and it was just too darn cold to be out walking!  Glenn had a great day though and caught his limit!


Our neighbors Peggy and Al arrived about 6:00 on Friday night and we immediately went out to eat at the ONLY restaurant open in town during the winter!


It was warmer on Saturday morning - they all headed out early to get a spot as it was tournament day - none of them registered for it but as you can see by the picture, there were a LOT of huts out there - Glenn said when they announced the winners, that over 500 had registered that day!  WOW!


Peggy was kind enough to take some pictures as I never get many from Glenn so I appreciated that!


There's THE MAN!


Glenn's sled that he pulls out on the ice when he can't take the ATV.


I did take a couple of walks on Saturday as it did warm up a little bit - there's not too much to see in the town and all the shops are closed up in the winter but it's still fun to walk around!

The 3 of them had a great time fishing with plenty of fish to clean when they got back in - we headed back to the restaurant for dinner again - 3 of us ordered Mexican which was WAY TOO SPICY!  I suffered with heartburn that night when I went to bed!

They cleaned all the fish at our cabin and then it was early to bed as early to rise for them!  I ended up reading 2 books at the cabin and played lots of word games on my phone - I love the Wordle and Wordus word games and spend a lot of time playing those - at least it keeps my mind active - maybe?

Sunday morning I woke up early too and enjoyed the beautiful sky that morning!



They fished till about noon and then packed up to come and get me - I had gotten a late check out so that worked out just fine!!  Glenn counted up that he had caught around 80 perch so I'd say that was a success!

New Mexico ice fishing never disappoints!!

3 comments:

Teri said...

That is a lot of fishing!

Jill said...

Way to cold for me but I know Papa enjoys it!

DrKeppy said...

Glad you were able to go! I would much rather read a book than ice fish too! And yay for wordle!