Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Shelburne Museum

 I had checked the weather last night and it didn't look very hopeful for Sunday - rain again!  So I had a backup plan if that happened and that was to go to the Shelburne Museum up by Shelburne, Vermont!  I had researched this museum (mainly because it was highly recommended) and even though we sometimes don't enjoy museums, this one sounded really interesting!

We ate breakfast along the way and even though I can't remember the place we ate at, I remember the meal as I ended up taking most of it along for the next morning since it was such a huge portion!  It was a nice drive up to Shelburne, even with some misty rain!

This museum is set on many acres and you go into several buildings to see the displays!  Sure glad we brought our jackets because the wind was awful and I was VERY cold walking between buildings!

We started out at this huge round barn - it was something else to see and the inside had dozens of old fashioned carriages and modes of transportation!



This particular one was the hearse!


A log cabin with the largest fireplace I've ever seen had an entire wall of trophy animals!


And of course I had to get a close up of this huge bull moose!


Sure wouldn't want to encounter any of these bears if I was out hiking!


It was fun to tour this huge boat, used to ferry passengers on overnight trips!


Being the short person that I am, I literally had to crawl up into this chair!


This is a one room schoolroom - I took pics of it and sent it to the grandkids, asking if they would have liked to go to school in something like this - NOT!


And a covered bridge that was moved in to the museum grounds.


They had a nice cafeteria that we ate at - we split a grilled cheese sandwich with chips and hot apple cider - yummy!!

Besides being cold, it was a great day and I'm so glad we chose to do this instead of just driving around in the rain, looking at leaves!   Below is the display at the Inn we were staying at!.  I kept waiting for the sun to come out before I took a picture but it just didn't happen! (and yes, that's a firepit with chairs in the distance!  Something we did NOT use due to the weather but some hardy guy was out there starting a fire!!)

Because we had leftovers from the night before, we just walked down to the office part where they have a nice big room and deck to hang out in - heated up our leftovers and ate in there before we headed back to our room for the evening!


3 comments:

Teri said...

Looks like fun!!

DrKeppy said...

You sure look cute in the big chair! Glad you found stuff to do in the rain.

Jill said...

Sounds like a fun museum!