Thursday, October 26, 2023

Woodstock

 Yes - I just had to go to Woodstock to say that I had been there!!  But there were also a couple of neat things to see there too!

Time to say goodbye to the Aerie Inn!  We enjoyed our "leftover" breakfast before we headed out!  I loved these bush/flowers that were growing on the turn into the Inn!


The clouds were still hanging in the air but at least it wasn't raining!  But it doesn't make for many spectactular pictures without the sun!  


I sure enjoyed seeing all these covered bridges in Vermont!  I had to look this fact up of course but Vermont has the MOST covered bridges in the nation - 104 of them!!  WOW!!  New Hampshire has 54, Maine has 9, and Massachusetts has 12.


It was a beautiful drive to Woodstock and not too far away!  We headed to Sugarbush Farms which makes maple syrup and cheese so it sounded pretty interesting!  What a narrow road to get to this farm out in the country!

Parking was once again at a premium but we found a spot and headed in!  First of all we did a tour through the maple syrup plant - it was just on your own with a lot of explanations of what the different machines did!  But this sign just blew my mind!  I can't believe it takes that MUCH maple sap to make syrup!


After the tour, we headed into the building - there we got to taste 3 different kinds of cheese - all yummy!  And 4 different kinds of maple syrup - from a light colored one to a dark colored one!  The gift shop was next!  I found my ornament, a 3pack of different cheeses to give to Hilary and Eric and a tshirt from there that has Woodstock on it- yay!

Then we took a self guided walk which showed all the tubing running from tree to tree to its' final destination!  A far cry from the days of old when they used buckets to hang under the taps!  I had no idea they used the tubing now and I'm sure it's a lot handier!  But the thought of seeing buckets catching the sap is always a great picture in my mind!


There's even a little chapel on the farm premises that had the most beautiful flowers sitting outside!


Next we were heading to VINS - Vermont Institute of Natural Science - to do a canopy walk and this covered bridge was one we DID get to drive through which was on the way!


The canopy walk was really nice!  It wasn't too busy which was nice and you walked on wood walkways the entire time!


I climbed to the top to see the view - Glenn opted to stay down!


There were a couple of spectacular metal art pieces to see!



And this is the "spider web" - the kids playing there were sure having fun!


There was also an outdoor exhibit of many birds that you could see!  Here I'm seeing how far my arm span is compared to other raptors!


It was a great day and I was sad to be leaving Vermont but it was time to head to our friends' house who live outside of Boston!  So onward bound to one more state!


2 comments:

DrKeppy said...

Wow a great day for sure! THe maple syrup place looked so neat!

Teri said...

Looks like a great day!!