Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Birthday Day and Flying Away!!

I think it should be a law that no one has to work on their birthday! Suppose I should start a petition?

Yes, I did work on my birthday - but the day went fast and I left early to head to Denver for my flight to Grand Rapids, MI. That seemed a whole lot better than what Glenn had in store for the afternoon - oral surgery at the dentist office - but he came through it all just fine!

The parking lot we always park in - Pikes Peak Shuttle - had a sign that you couldn't turn in that particular road - so I drove further and further and finally realized I was almost to the airport - I turned around and saw another sign that said Mt. Elbert - turned in there and realized that wasn't what I wanted so went back to Pikes Peak and pulled in anyway, only to discover the entire lot was shut down!! I ended up going back to the Mt. Elbert parking lot which seemed to be way out in the country!!

The shuttle took me into the airport and soon I was through security and found my sister Patty, waiting at the gate - she had flown in from Omaha and we were both flying together into Grand Rapids! Next on the agenda was dinner and drinks to celebrate my birthday and before we knew it, we were off to our "SISTERS REUNION"!!

Teri was waiting for us at midnight to pick us up and greeted me with a bouquet of balloons - how sweet!!


We were all ready for bed by the time we got back to Teri's house so we hit the sack and were ready for our adventure the next morning! We headed to Kalamazoo where Teri and Jay have bought a condo for Teri to stay in during the week since she now works down there - it's as cute as can be and the back yard is gorgeous - lots of vegetation and beautiful trees and flowers!


Lunch found us at Food Dance, a neat restaurant that uses all "local" meats, fruits and vegetables - a great meal - and we even stopped back later to take dessert home with us!! We walked around downtown Kalamazoo and enjoyed seeing all the beautiful flowers that were in bloom!


Our stop at the Tempo Vino Winery was really fun - Teri knew the owner of the store and we did some wine tasting and enjoyed visiting with him!! Of course we couldn't leave without purchasing some wine for later that evening!


Next on the list was seeing where Teri worked at the college and we enjoyed touring her office and the campus!! It was pretty warm out by this time or should I say "HOT" to me as I'm not used to humidity!! Some nice student offered to take our picture in front of the fountain!!



I LOVED these huge planter type contraptions that held flowers in pots!! I believe there were 4 of them and I couldn't decide whether to post the pink ones or the purple ones - the pink ones won!!

We headed back to the condo after our journey through Kalamazoo - opened up a couple bottles of wine and sat for virtually HOURS talking!! I think we finally looked at our watches and decided that since it was 8:00, it was time to eat dinner - where had the time gone??? So we walked just across the street to Urbelli's (I've probably spelled this wrong) and ate pizza!! We decided to try something completely different so ordered one that had tortellini on it!! (Along with some other yummy veggies) It was quite good but probably not anything I would order again!!


And then it was back to the condo to drink some more wine and talk just a little bit longer!! It's so much fun to reminisce about the old memories growing up!!



One last shot of the condo before we left the next morning on our NEXT adventure!!! To be continued..............

2 comments:

Teri said...

KZ was so much fun and I loved showing you around. Wish the weather had been just a little cooler but oh well - at least it wasn't raining!

DrKeppy said...

Such pretty flowers! Glad your flight there was uneventful!!