Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Day Started Out GREAT..................

as we went to church and Teri gave us the "official" tour of their remodeled building!! After church and snacks, we drove a little further downtown and then parked to do the "walking" tour of downtown Grand Rapids!! It was pretty hot but we kept up a lively pace and enjoyed seeing the downtown area on foot!! We walked by the Gerald Ford museum and stood in the spray awhile to cool down!!

After lunch, Patty and I decided we better print out our boarding passes as we were leaving late afternoon for home - Patty's printed out fine but mine said my flight was cancelled and to call Frontier - WHAT???? So I did - and got the message that Denver had a severe hail storm the night we left (July 13th) and that 1/3 of Frontier's planes had been damaged. So I'm thinking, wow, if the planes were damaged, what would my poor car look like???

I was on hold FOREVER of course and by the time I had finished talking, it was a total of 80 minutes - just what one wants to do on a Sunday afternoon!! The news wasn't good - they could fly me home on Wednesday on Frontier - I casually mentioned that this was SUNDAY and I was supposed to be at work the next morning.

The lady was very nice and kept checking their sister airlines for more flights - after checking, re-checking, and checking again, the bottom line was that the only flight that would work left on Monday from Grand Rapids to Chicago, Chicago to Dallas, and Dallas to Denver - great - flying for an entire day...............

But I really didn't have any choice so I told her to book it!!! By this time it was time to take Patty to the airport and bid her good-bye!!

Amanda and Emily had friends over for the afternoon and early evening so I played with the kids, visited with Teri some more and just kind of hung out!! After some excellent grilled hamburgers for dinner, Jay left for a church meeting, the kids were put to bed, and us 4 girls put on the movie Mamma Mia (the sing-along version) and proceeded to watch the movie and sing along - enjoying some wine at the same time - what fun!!

Monday morning I said my goodbyes and was off to the Grand Rapids airport to begin my LONG journey home!! Luckily, there were no long delays and I made all of my flights (but not without a GREAT deal of terminal changes and walking!!) and even had a chance to grab a quick taco in Dallas before heading home!!

It felt great to FINALLY get to Denver - even though it was mighty hot there too - and the best news of the day was that my car was just fine!!! I put the petal to the metal as I was so excited about getting back to the mountains - and boy did that cool mountain air feel good when I finally reached HOME - as they say, There's No Place Like Home!!!

What a great 4 day weekend the sisters had together - thanks again to Teri for hosting our wonderful stay - thanks to Jay for the fantastic meals - thanks to Emily for sharing her "coupons" at Mojos - and thanks to Amanda, Pierce and Lauren for sharing Teri with us!!

3 comments:

ahh bear said...

don't forget to ask your girls about their favorite mamma mia songs!

Teri said...

Finally got caught up. Thanks for the great blog - helps me remember all the fun stuff we did! Thanks for coming - I had sooo much fun.

DrKeppy said...

I can't believe your bad flight luck! Oh well at least you finally made it home and your car was ok! Glad you had such a wonderful time!!