Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Glendo Reservoir

Does life ever slow down?  Of course not - it's summer!!  Sunday we packed the camper and hooked onto the boat and were out the door Monday morning by 8:00am!

Our first stop was on the edge of Denver - my first appointment with my endocrinologist!  We had scouted out a location in advance on where to park our tripled up fleet and the parking lot was a little smaller than what we anticipated but it worked!!  I only had about 1 1/2 blocks to walk to the dr's office - unfortunately she was running way behind but eventually my appt was handled.  My bloodwork came back excellent so I don't have to go back for another 6 months.

Then we were off to Wyoming!  Of course the traffic was awful in Denver as we expected but it was so nice to get into Wyoming where the speed limit is 80 and the traffic is nothing like in Colorado!

It still took about 6 hours driving time and we finally arrived and found our spot - no, we didn't have electricity but brought the generator!  Our campsite was nice with some shade trees and we quickly set up!

It was pretty darn warm out - in fact, HOT!  But Glenn started the generator so we could turn on the air although the 5th wheel was so hot, it didn't get very cool!


We even had a fire that night and it was weird having shorts on by the fire because in Colorado, you are always in pants at night!!

Glenn left early to take the boat over and get it put in to fish!  And after my morning routine and a nice walk, I read - big surprise, huh?  I walked around the campground and discovered that it was a whole lot cooler closer to the water - darn, I wished we would have gotten one of those sites!  I ended up just carrying a chair down closer under some trees and caught the lake breeze!

We decided to have our main meals early afternoon so Glenn could go back out in the evenings to fish - but it was so darn hot and the generator was in the back of the truck which was parked at the docks in a different cove!  So I rode over with Glenn on the boat and picked up the truck and brought it back so we could get the air going!

I love how the trees go right down to the water!


Of course we had to turn the generator off by evening time for quiet time - it did cool off some but it was hard to get any breeze coming through the 5th wheel - needless to say, we didn't need any covers at night!

Fishing was a bust - he caught a few but only 2 walleye were worth cooking!  He was burning up on the boat and I was burning up at the campsite...........  but I managed to read 3 books!!

Wed. night Glenn decided to start another campfire - it was going pretty good but he decided to go to bed and I was ready to come in and read.  After a little while, I heard a truck pull in and then footsteps heading our way as I was sitting by an open window on the couch.  Pretty soon someone pounds right by my head and it's a ranger stating that there is a fire ban on and we had a fire going unattended - WHOOPS!!!

I profusely apologized and said we did not know that and I would get my husband right out there to put it out - the ranger waited outside while Glenn slipped into some clothes and went out and put it out!  Gosh - we are SO careful to follow the rules but somehow did NOT see the sign where it said no fires AND someone else had a fire that first night like we did too so we were just unaware!

Glenn only fished a little while on Thursday so we took the truck and drove around, always on the lookout for a better campground and spot (but have already decided we will NOT ever be coming in the summer again - just too hot - spring or fall would be much better!!)  We did find a couple of places that would work better also!

Glenn had seen the army doing maneuvers the day before and we saw all their equipment while we were out and about so stopped and talked to one of the guys - it was the reserves from North Dakota and they were practicing taking barges across the lake!


The lake is beautiful - especially over by the dam!


We packed up early Friday morning with the dreaded drive through Denver again - it was as bad as was expected and we were SO glad to get back to the mountains and the quietness of our home!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Such a bummer it was that hot. Oh well, lesson learned!

Teri said...

so sorry it was not a great time - but you got away and got to read some - my dream!