Monday, June 1, 2020

The Food Pantry

I missed working at the food pantry while we were in Mexico!  The food pantry is one of my volunteer jobs and it's a great feeling to pack these boxes for the people in our county that need food!

I know I've been working at the pantry for over 2 years - maybe it's 3 years!!  I was started in the "egg" department and cold and frozen foods and I'm still in that area today!  We serve our clients on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of every month, usually rain or shine!  And trust me, there have been MANY very cold days we had to work in the warehouse - that's the days you wear long underwear along with several layers of clothes!


Two boxes are given to each family, a regular box and a green box.  The regular box holds the dry goods and eggs, along with a dairy or frozen item.  The green box holds the produce with breads and desserts put on top.


This is the section I work in.  If we have eggs, they are usually in bulk and have to be checked for cracks and then put into egg cartons.  Our goal is to give each family a dozen eggs each time but that doesn't always happen - if we're short, then we just put 6 eggs in a carton so at least they get a few!  Also the freezers and refrigerators are usually packed full of yogurt, cheese, milk, creamer, juice, etc. and any frozen dinners or convenience items that have been frozen to keep them fresh until it's time to pack them.


Boxes are put on a conveyor belt and we pack as they go by.  Outside the building there is another team who checks in the registered people and unload the items into their cars!  It's amazing how this all works and I was in awe the first time I was there!  Usually about 300 to 350 total boxes are given out each time!


A lot of the groceries are given to this organization from the local grocery stores along with Walmart - the rest is bought from Care and Share with donations.  What an awesome ministry!

2 comments:

Teri said...

What a great volunteer opportunity. I sure miss going to our Food bank - they have closed to our group volunteers but could do individual - but now that I am working full-time don't know if I will get out there.

Jill said...

I'm glad you are able to give back!