Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Another Leg Issue?

 Really?  This little nodule on the back of my leg behind my right knee decides to flare up and get painful? YES!  I think it appeared right after we arrived in Mexico and I didn't think much about it until it got larger and then it was really bothersome when I wore capris or pants!  And then this last week I decided something had to be done!

The dermatologist was in Cabo so I opted to just try the East Cape Clinic first to see if they could take care of it!  We met with a Dr. Perez who was very nice and spoke good English!  After we got through all the little details of a new patient, he looked at it and said yes, it needs to be cut out and I can do that!  All right!

Here are the before photos which I had Glenn take because I can hardly turn around enough to see it, let alone take a pic of it!  


Don't you love the hairy leg?  And you can see how it would irritate with clothing on!


Dr. Perez called it a nodule and I asked why I got it and he said because of my skin type - ha - whatever that means!  But my body is very prone to moles and skin tags!

Anyway, I spent the next 45 minutes on my stomach while he gave me 3 shots to deaden it (yes that hurt) and once it was numb he cut it out!  Everything was very sterile and I was quite impressed with it all!  He showed me the nodule after he cut it out and it was even bigger as some was below the surface!  6 stitches later and I was done!

He dressed it and gave me a couple of prescriptions - but I opted to only fill the antibiotic, not the pain medication.  Said to redress it twice a day and use a topical ointment (which we did find in the 3rd pharmacy we checked!)  And to come back in 2 weeks to get the stitches out!

Nurse Glenn is doing a great job washing it twice a day and rebandaging!  The dr said I could walk but no exercising till it's all healed!  With the dirt road and sandy beach, I've opted NOT to walk for a few days and when I do, I'll have to wear long capris to keep it clean!

Pain has been very minimal (I do have a high pain tolerance) so that's a good thing!  Glenn says it's looking better each time he cleans and puts a new dressing on.

All in all, a great experience at the clinic - I had NO idea what something like this would cost as basically the dr did a small surgery but total price was $353.00.  He is sending it in for a biopsy and the results should be back next week!  Let's hope this is the ONLY trip to the clinic!

4 comments:

Teri said...

Let's hope the test comes back good! What a pain! Glad it all went well.

Sherry said...

Let's hope. 🙏

DrKeppy said...

Ouch! So glad you are able to get that taken care of!!

Jill said...

How nice you could communicate well with the Doctor!