Friday, May 30, 2008

Memories and Massages

Ouch - I was up too much on my leg yesterday and by the time I got home from work, I was hurting - bad! I took off my cast and sock and saw that my arch and ankle were a nice light shade of black and blue - hmmmmm - guess a night on the couch was in order!



I pulled my "Memory Box" out of the downstairs closet - it's a good sturdy office box that was still taped shut from our move - and drug it into the living room. My project for the evening was to look through the box and find obituary notices of my mom and dad, grandpa and grandma.



A few weeks ago, I was contacted by a 2nd cousin on my mom's side through email - of course, I had no idea she existed as I really don't know much about my mom's side of the family. She is INTO genealogy and wanted to introduce herself, share some old pictures, and update! I have emailed her all the pertinent info on our immediate family and my siblings will be doing the same. But she asked if I had the obituaries for my parents and grandparents, hence the sorting of the memory box!



This box is full to the top of every piece of paper that I have saved since my birth that is NOT in a scrapbook. Of course, looking through the box took me down Memory Lane and it took me almost 3 hours to get through it. And that was only peeking at a fraction of the papers! My box is full of greeting cards (every imaginable holiday), certificates, obituaries, newspaper clippings, and Christmas letters! Of course I had to read the Christmas letters I had written over the past 25 years!



But one greeting card caught my eye - the outside said "To my son-in-law" and as I opened it and read it, the tears started flowing - it was to Glenn from my dad, sent a few days after my mom had passed away, and dad had written at the bottom, "Thanks for loaning Becky to me when I needed her the most." You see, I had taken a week off from work to go back to Iowa for the funeral and to spend time with Dad and my siblings. And that simple message that he had written at the bottom, opened the floodgate of tears and all the memories of mom and dad! It's a GOOD thing to remember those memories - and a good cry is a great cleansing for the body, so I've read!



I DID find the obituaries - and today I will scan them and email them to my 2nd cousin so she can add them to the history of our family.



Tonight is MASSAGE night - HOORAY!! Heather is a great friend whom I met a couple of years ago - she came in to get insurance on her new house and as she was leaving, she pulled out a business card and handed it to me saying if I knew of anybody that needed a massage, to give her a call! Before she even walked out the door, I had an appointment with her - and the BEST thing (besides her price!) was she only lived a couple of miles from me and was willing to come to my house to do the massage - it doesn't get any better than that!



So for the last 2 years, I have basically had a massage every other week!! Sure, there were weeks when we couldn't get our schedules to match or one of us was on vacation but we normally worked it out and the massages are WONDERFUL! Her husband Hans became friends with Glenn too, so the 4 of us have spent a lot of time together.



Of course circumstances change - we moved, they moved, she had a baby, I broke my leg - so the last 3 months have really been hit and miss but I think we're back on schedule! Since she now lives in Co. Springs, we will work around her schedule and the new massage location will be here at my office! That's fine with me - I just NEED and WANT my massage - she is GREAT at what she does and knows exactly where to put her skills to work at on my body!



After my massage tonight, Glenn will meet me for a bite to eat and then we're heading to the show to see the new Indiana Jones movie! We haven't really been "out" since I broke my leg so we're both looking forward to the evening! What more could I ask for - a massage, dinner and a movie all in one night - WOW!!

No comments: