Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Progress!

Today, for the first time in 6 weeks, I walked down our loft steps. I also walked back up the steps to dry my hair, put on makeup, and brush my teeth - and then I walked down again! This may not seem like a very big feat to most people but to me, it was PROGRESS! After being on crutches for 6 weeks, I can NOW walk without them!

It happened up at Jaime's this weekend - I got up Saturday morning and tried to take a step without the crutches and I COULD DO IT! Little steps that gradually worked into bigger steps! Not a real pretty sight as I walk with a huge limp and kind of lean to one side, but it's STILL a step! And with those steps, comes even MORE independence as I can now carry things with my hands!

I didn't attempt steps until Sunday and Jaime's are carpeted which made it easier than our log steps - but just that simple task of walking up steps (very slowly of course!) was exciting as I have been scooting up and down steps for 6 weeks on my bottom! (Trust me, I have the cleanest steps around!)

Also another first this morning - I walked into the grocery store and bought a few groceries - took me a LOT longer than I thought it would and I was late for work, but I DID IT! And yes, it is hard as it hurts sometimes and my legs get very sore and my ankle still swells but it's still worth it! And I almost forgot - I showered this morning WITHOUT sitting on a chair in the walk-in shower, I stood! I feel extra clean now!

It's amazing how little things can be so important when you haven't been able to do them for so long! I have learned a lot through this ordeal - mostly patience! And I have a new appreciation for the handicapped - not pity anymore, but a great deal of admiration for the things they CAN do! This broken leg has opened my eyes and although it has been a long healing process which I'm still not through yet, I believe I have emerged as a better person!

The Memorial Day Holiday turned out to be a cold, rainy day - the girls and I decided we were glad we were NOT camping with the guys! Our outing for the day was to Sam's Club! I never thought I would EVER be in one of those driveable carts in a store but that's exactly where I was! There was no way I could walk on my own through that huge store - so I got a cart and Rayna and I had a ball driving through the aisles! The little boys looked so cute sitting side by side in a double cart and we enjoyed our shopping trip, ending with coffee at my favorite place!

By the time the guys arrived home late afternoon, we were ready to hand the kids over to them! I think we were all getting a little cabin fever by this time as the kids couldn't play outside! So after birthday gift opening and watching Kylan devour his 1st birthday cake, everyone headed to their respective homes and I'm sure Jaime sighed with relief!

We missed spending the weekend with Jill and Robby - they were camping with friends in the mountains - but hopefully Labor Day Weekend just might work for all of us!

No comments: