Thursday, December 18, 2008

Holiday Traditions - #4

I believe this will be the last blog on our holiday traditions - I'm sad to say I'm running out of them!

One of my favorite things to bring out at Christmas is the nativity scene that my mom made at ceramics, many many years ago! It graced her buffet and was a real work of art - she was excellent at doing ceramics and I believe the nativity scene was her best! There are many pieces to the scene so it fills up the area on my hutch nicely - I love the huge camels and the many animals!

After my mom passed away, the nativity scene seemed to have disappeared for a few years - and one year I decided I was going to find it as it was one of the few things that I wanted to remember mom by - I called around and finally located it - my brother had it - and he graciously offered to let me have it! The navitity scene is extremely special to me and always will be!

On Christmas Eve, we not only read "Twas the Night Before Christmas", but also the Christmas story out of the bible. And it's always been tradition to go to Christmas Eve service at church.

I remember many years ago when I was growing up, the Christmas Eve service was always held at midnight! It was a candlelight service and I loved lighting my candle from the person next to me and singing Silent Night with the lights out, and only the flickering candles glowing.

Somebody must have decided that midnight was just too late for services because then the time seemed to change right around the 10:00 time for the last service of the night - and that was OK too!

As I wrote before in a former blog, some of my most memorable Christmas Eve services were when I lived in Missouri Valley and my good friend Helen and I would do the late service on our guitars! That was back when I could play the guitar! I guess I still can but I haven't picked it up in years! Helen and I would spend hours practicing and perfecting each song and the service included at least 2 or 3 special songs that we would sing and play together in harmony! My, my those were the days....................... I miss you Helen and wish we were doing a service together this Christmas Eve!

After moving to Woodland Park, I spent many years singing in the choir for Christmas Eve services -and although I don't sing in the choir any more, I still love singing all the carols during the Christmas season!

Last year we were in Denver for Christmas and attended the girls' church on Christmas Eve - and this year we will be doing the same! It doesn't matter what church we attend - it's all about hearing the Christmas story of the blessed baby and praising our Lord for bringing that tiny baby to us at Christmas! May you all attend the church of your choice this Christmas Eve and remember the TRUE meaning of Christmas!

1 comment:

Teri said...

Yes, the nativity scene is one of my favorites too. I also have our original nativity scene - the old plastic type (with .15 on the bottom on some of the pieces). It also brings home many memories. Enjoy the holidays with your family!