Monday, December 22, 2008

I Knew There Was A Reason.............

I had absolutely nothing planned for the weekend except for the usual cleaning, laundry and last minute stuff to get ready for Christmas! And now I know why............

Granddaughter Rayna (who is 6 years old) went in for an emergency appendectomy late Friday morning! She had been complaining off and on all week of a stomach ache and Jaime and Brad took her in about 3:00am to the emergency room - and yes, she needed her appendix removed!

I left work about 11:30 and raced up to Denver - of course she was in her room by then and looked so little in that hospital bed! But she was a real trooper and came through the surgery just fine!

Since mom and dad were exhausted (Jaime and Brad), I offered to spend the night in the hospital with her - she looked so cute sitting in bed eating her popsicles and whispering to me when she needed something as her throat was still raw from the tube. I would help her of bed to walk a little ways down the hallway to pick out movies, unhooking the finger monitor and dragging the IV pole with us!

Before we went to bed, I told her she would have to talk a little bit louder so I could hear her in the middle of the night and she whispered to me that if I couldn't hear her, she would clap her hands! (As if I had any problem waking up - how could I POSSIBLY forget the every 2 hour vitals check???)

Rayna got to come home around noon on Saturday and is doing just fine! Little kids sure do bounce back fast! You're a real trooper Rayna and I'm glad I was there to help you!

2 comments:

ahh bear said...

I'm glad she was okay and I bet she will always recount the story of when she had her appendix out and Grandma stayed with her in the hospital.

Teri said...

How nice that you are close enough to fill in for the parents. Rayna will always remember this! Glad she is doing better!