Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Hill Country - San Antonio - #2

Friday morning dawned beautiful! Helen had to work for a couple of hours in the morning so I enjoyed coffee on her patio and just relaxing till she got home! And then we were off to the Hill Country!!

Our first stop was the Gourd Festival in Fredericksburg - have you ever been to a gourd festival before?? I had no idea they even had then and we were both totally amazed at what we found! There was every type of gourd imaginable and they all had been turned into the most beautiful and unique decorations ever! Some of the items sold for up to $1000 - way over our budget!!

We walked around and around the place, checking out all the different designs - it was easy to decide what I wanted to buy as I had seen the item the minute we walked in the door! Of course it was a Christmas ornament - similar to the ones you see hanging below on the tree! Mine looks like the "old-fashioned" type of gourd that you usually see in the fall, and it's painted with blue bonnets, the pretty blue flowers that grow like crazy in the spring!

And next it was on to Luckenbach!! Remember the song "Let's go to Luckenbach, Texas, Willie and Waylon and the boys - this successful life we're livings', got us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys." I have to be honest - I always thought Luckenbach was just a regular town - NOT!
It's out in the middle of nowhere and consists of a large general store where you can buy beer and soda, a post office, and a large dance hall where a lot of wedding receptions are held!!

All in all - one fun place!! Lots of picnic tables outside and you grab a beer (or in my case a water) and sit outside and listen to whoever happens to be strumming their guitar and singing that day!! It's open mike session all the time!! Here's a shot of the inside of the general store - they had a strange collection of items inside!!


And we enjoyed listening to these folks play and sing - the guitar player sitting down had a great voice and it was quiet and peaceful, just sitting there relaxing!! I could have sat there for hours!


Next it was off to Helen's favorite winery - Sister Creek!! We took a quick tour of the winery but opted not to do the tasting as Helen already knew what was good!! She joined their club that afternoon and took her first 3 bottles home for us to enjoy!!


Now I have to admit, I'm not crazy about wine - sure, I'll drink wine coolers but find most wine to just not be much to my liking - until I tried the wine Helen drinks - oh my gosh - I LOVED it!! It's described as "summer in a bottle" and I agree!! Sweet enough for my liking with a bit of sparkly to it!! Naturally it's only sold in Texas though so I'm hoping they'll ship to Colorado!!
After a fantastic meal of crock pot roast, potatos and carrots, we sat once again at the kitchen table with Joe and talked the night away - while sharing that bottle of icy cold wine!! Helen discovered that if you put it in the freezer for a while, it's even better!! And I totally agree!!
To be continued..................

4 comments:

Teri said...

Sounds like a wonderful time - how nice to spend it with an old friend!

DrKeppy said...

Who would've thought that gourds could be so cool?! I love your tradition of buying an ornament when you travel - someday (when I actually travel) I'd love to do the same! And you'll have to sing me that song because I surely don't recognize it by the words alone!
Looks like lots of fun!

Anonymous said...

Hello DrKeppy... re Luckenbach, TX... I was going to embed the iTune song of Waylon Jennings' "Luckenbach, TX" for you to give a listen... but my brain is not engaged yet and I can't figure out how to import the song onto Becky's blog. Email me at joevillafane@me.com and I will send you the song.

04 Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love).m4a by Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson from Waylon Jennings' Greatest HIts album. It was a popular Country song for a while and then became an anthem of sorts. It talked about getting back to the basics of love.

The only two things in life that make it worth livin'
Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women
I don't need my name in the marquee lights
I got my song and I got you with me tonight
Maybe it's time we got back to the basics of love

Let's go to Luckenbach, Texas
With Waylon and Willie and the boys
This successful life we're livin'
Got us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys
Between Hank Williams' pain songs and
Newberry's train songs and Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain
Out in Luckenbach, Texas ain't nobody feelin' no pain

So baby, let's sell your diamond ring
Buy some boots and faded jeans and go away
This coat and tie is choking me
In your high society you cry all day
We've been so busy keepin' up with the Jones
Four car garage and we're still building on
Maybe it's time we got back to the basics of love

Let's go to Luckenbach, Texas
With Waylon and Willie and the boys
This successful life we're livin' got us feudin'
Like the Hatfield and McCoys
Between Hank Williams' pain songs and
Newberry's train songs and Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain
Out in Luckenbach, Texas ain't nobody feelin' no pain

Let's go to Luckenbach, Texas
With Willie and Waylon and the boys
This successful life we're livin's got us feudin'
Like the Hatfield and McCoys
Between Hank Williams' pain songs
And Jerry Jeff's train songs and Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain
Out in Luckenbach, Texas there ain't nobody feelin' no pain

Anonymous said...

Wow, didn't realize that was going to be a mouthful... sorry for taking up so much room on your blog, Becky. Loved the chronology of events and the photos. Can't wait to see you again and meeting your beautiful family.