Friday, June 8, 2012

On My Own In Loreto!

I must be on vacation - I can't remember what day it is!!!

Thursday - Glenn went fishing!!!  He was excited to say the least and we checked the alarm we had set several times as he didn't want to miss his ride!!  Him, Bob and George headed out at 5:40am - I'm sure you're all thinking I got up with him to fix bacon and eggs before he headed out the door and packed him a lunch - umm, no.  I slept in............

I did manage to roll out about 7:30 - tidied up the  place a little bit - drank some wonderful peach juice - cooked some bacon and scrambled eggs to have with my jelly laden flour tortilla  - and then grabbed my sunglasses and a map and headed out!!

Now anybody that knows me, does know that I have absolutely no sense of direction - hence the map given to us by the owner with all the pertinent places marked!!  I knew exactly where I was going and that's where I went - no wrong turns - of course it's not too difficult when you're only a block from the ocean and that's where I was going - he he!!

 I had no fear whatsoever walking by myself!!  Loreto is such a friendly town - little business places tucked into residential streets.  The only thing that bothered me was the thought of the dogs - as any Mexico town, there are a lot of dogs around - most are penned up but some aren't - but they really are ALL friendly, they just bark!!!  Whenever I saw one sleeping on the sidewalk in front of a place or business, I would just walk out to the street and walk way around them - solved my fear problem!!

 The ocean was like glass - it was beautiful out but already getting pretty warm!!!  I LOVE the tile work that is done on some of the streets - very unique!!

 First on the list was coffee - I had seen this little place as it was on the same street where we ate dinner last night so I knew right where it was.  It's called Sea Coffee - now how perfect of a name is that since it's right across the street from the ocean!!

 I got my coffee and then headed over to one of the benches by the ocean and drank it, just relaxing by the sea!!!  Then it was up to the"square" where I took some pics which I'll post at another time!!!  I headed out on a different route then after consulting my map to find this liquor store, which I hoped would have pina colada mix - it did - so along with the mix of course I had to get Malibu Rum - no little bottles so a large one it was and both bottles sure got heavy before I got home!!  I did take one wrong turn on the way home but soon realized it - no harm done, just some extra walking!!

I was sweating like crazy (just not used to the heat yet) by the time I got back so I grabbed my suit and walked out to the pool where I spent the next few hours - mostly in the shade unless I was in the water..........

I expected Glenn to be back about 1:00 as that's the usual time  most captains bring their fishermen back but it was almost 4:00 before the guys got back!!!  Glenn told me to get my camera as he caught a fish but it wasn't very big - he was kidding though - check it out!!!!

 He caught a 150# marlin - the biggest fish he's ever caught - it took him over an hour to land it and he was one proud guy!!!!

They decided to smoke the marlin, after cutting off a chunk for our dinner that evening so the captain took it away and they'll bring it back in a day or two - and I'm thinking - WOW - there has got to be a LOT of meat on that fish!!!

After a LONG nap, Glenn grilled the fish while I cooked up some fried potatoes and we had an excellent meal - I can't say the fish was as good as yellow-tail or dorado but I'm anxious to try the smoked!!  We spent the rest of the evening, just sitting out by the pool, all by ourselves - it was gorgeous out and peaceful.........................To Be Cont'd...................

3 comments:

Jill said...

Oh, how I wish I was there. Maybe I'll come with you next time!

Patty Jensen said...

Oh my gosh - that fish is sooooo big - I bet Glenn IS a proud fisherman!!! And you had so much fun "doing" the town - great! Am loving your blogs and pics - they are great!

DrKeppy said...

I love "touring" the town with you!! I cannot believe how big that fish is!! WOW!!!! That would feed a whole village!