Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Waldo Canyon Fire

Tuesday was a tough day.  I spent a lot of time just looking out my window at work and snapping pictures of the smoke.  Because of Hwy 24 being closed, we were not getting a lot of info about the fire in our neck of the woods, just the Colorado Springs side of it.

 Woodland Park was put on standby evacuation and everyone was on edge.  Mid-afternoon a strong thunderstorm came through - no rain but lots of wind!!!  The smoke was horrible.

 About 4:00 during the news live update in Colorado Springs (I had live upstreaming on my computer so I could watch it all day long) is when the Springs got the wind and all hell broke loose!!!  The evacuations started fast and furious and we watched in horror as the fire moved down the hillside toward Colorado Springs!

We left work about 5:00 and went to a high point over by Edlowe Road where we used to live and the picture below shows what we saw.

 Of course when we got home, we watched the homes being burned in Colorado Springs - it was devastating

After watching for so long, you just have to get away from the TV - we sat on the deck and this was our show in the sky.
We woke up this morning with heavy hearts, knowing that many, many homes had burned in the C. Springs area.  I felt numb, frustrated, angry, and sad.  And we have another long day ahead of us, waiting and watching the skies to see if the fire up this way spreads like it did in Colorado Springs.  It will be hot again today, with winds picking up as I write this.

As I sat on the swing last night, looking at our beautiful view of Pikes Peak and all the trees, all I could think of was what if a fire took all of this away from us? 

2 comments:

Teri said...

Thinking of you!

DrKeppy said...

I don't know how you ever got anything done! I still can't believe those views!!