Thursday, June 28, 2012

Feelings

The Colorado Springs people whose streets are being listed on the TV, are starting to gather at UCCS to hear about the 346 homes that were lost  - I can't imagine what they are feeling right now.  Maybe some of them have already accepted the fact that their home is gone - others I'm sure are holding onto the hope that their home is still standing.

Being in the insurance business most of my life, I have to admit that I'm glad I'm not working there now - it's a tough place to work during a wildfire and I remember vividly the calls I took while working at Farmers during the Hayman Fire.

I had grand plans (since we weren't working) today of deep cleaning the kitchen - I can assure you, that didn't get done and was probably the furthest thing from my mind!  We did drive into W. Pk this morning and after we got there, I couldn't wait to get back home again - I was irritable, agitated and depressed after we arrived.  And back here at the house, it's calm and you can actually forget about it for a while.

My friend Joleen stopped by after she got off of work today and we went into Florissant to have coffee together - now that was fun - and it took our minds off of the fire for a while.

It just seems you can't turn the continuous coverage off of the TV - you watch and watch and watch - and most of it is a repeat - yet you still stay glued to it.  About 8:00 each evening though we do watch either a movie or a taped show, just to get away from it!

It's after 6:00 now and it's 60 degrees out - we didn't get any rain, just a few sprinkles but the humidity has risen and that made for a good day for the firefighters.  Let's hope we have more of these days ahead!

I'm praying that by next Monday they will have a large containment on the fire and we will be able to get back to business. Until then.................

2 comments:

Teri said...

Just can't imagine what you and all the others are going through.

DrKeppy said...

Well I am VERY late for this post but so glad that all has been contained. I'm sure there is still a lot of healing left to go for many!