Sunday, August 28, 2016

Scouting Out Gunnison

We headed into Gunnison early evening and went to a campground on Blue Mesa Reservoir - it was getting dark by then and the campground loops seemed to be pretty crowded!  One loop wasn't so we drove into it and got set up before complete nightfall!

I hadn't slept well the night before so ended up sleeping at the opposite end of the bed again and I sleep like a log that way!!  But around 3:00 the chirping started..............you know that sound when a smoke alarms' battery is going bad and it's time to change it?  Only the chirping wouldn't stop - it was constant!

We both got up as the sound was SO LOUD and of course we're in a campground and I could just picture the entire campground hearing this chirping sound!!!  Glenn checked both smoke alarms and it wasn't them, it was some charger thing that is supposed to let you know when your battery is low - only our battery wasn't low!!  He finally just took the fuse out to reset it and then it was fine!!  So much for a good nights' sleep!!

We trailered over across the highway which is where Glenn will be hunting this fall and started our ATV journey!  It was pretty chilly out that morning and I was cold for the first hour!  Not very many side trails to take but once we got high enough, the trees were absolutely gorgeous!!  We found a couple of beautiful spots to camp but it took us 1/2 hour on the ATV so know it would take over an hour to get up to them with the 5th wheel!

There was a gorgeous lake up at the top!  It would sure be a beautiful place to camp if you were in a tent!

 Yes, that's snow in the distance.............old snow though, not new snow!

 Glenn found lots of gooseberry bushes so decided to try them - they were a little sour to me!

 We had a great morning and then trailered up and moved to a different trail for the afternoon!  Glenn found a pretty spot for lunch - since there were cattle in this area too, you have to get away from them or there are lots of flies!!

We ATV'd till 4:00 which was a pretty long day for us and then headed back to the camper - he took a little nap and when he woke up, decided he wanted to go back out for the evening to see some wildlife.  I opted not to go as I had a good book that was calling me!!  We had an early dinner and I sent Glenn on his way, knowing he still had 2 1/2 hours before it would be dark!

After I did the dishes up, I noticed it was already getting darker out which didn't make any sense to me until I looked at my WATCH and realized the clock on the wall was an hour off!!!!  Yes, that darn clock tends to lose time but it had been working properly this trip so never thought to check it!  I went out for a walk on a couple of the loops - it's always fun to see the different campers!!

Poor Glenn didn't have long to ATV but he still enjoyed it!!  One quick picture of this pink cloud over the lake before it got really dark!!

We were up bright and early the next morning to pack up and head home - on the way over my brother had texted me that they were arriving to see us on Friday so it was time to get back and once again, get ready for company!!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Super beautiful scenery. Bummer about the chirping noise!