Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Reflections on the Coronavirus

The United States is a couple of weeks into the virus now and we are so far removed from it here in Mexico that it's hard to even wrap our heads around what is happening in the states!

We have no TV down here so our news is all seen online and on Facebook!  And hour by hour things seem to change - new reports come online - and it's just hard to imagine that all of this is going on while down here in Mexico, we're enjoying the good life! 

There is no shortage of food or toilet paper down here - and as of today, no known cases on the Baja!  Yes, there are cases on mainland Mexico and the threat is likely here since flights come into Cabo daily with visitors from the states. 

We are staying in a small area called Spa Buena Vista which is mainly retired Americans.  Spring breakers do not come to this area as there is basically nothing in this small town except a couple of small hotels and restaurants attached to them.  To do basic grocery shopping you have to go into Los Barriles which is around 3 or 4 miles by highway or ATVing in from the beach.  There are quite a few Americans in the bigger town but we're still talking VERY small compared to Cabo!

Life continues here like normal - it's a simple Mexican life and the thought of the virus coming here seems remote but I'm sure it will happen at some point!  In the meantime, we are enjoying life, eating lots of fresh fish from the ocean and relaxing!  I've read many books and just enjoy sitting on the front porch and watching the ocean and walking the beach in the morning!

"Social distancing" seems to be the NEW thing in the states that everyone is supposed to practice!  That wouldn't be a problem for me if I was there - I'm such an introvert anyway and the thought of seclusion doesn't bother me! 

Are we heading home as planned?  At this point, yes.  I'm sure the house we're renting has a rentor coming in right behind us but it's something I will check out.  Of course our original plans were to get home for Easter - but with church services and Easter Egg hunts cancelled, I'm not sure if all of us will even get together - a lot can change in a few weeks!

It's a little strange to read that the elderly are the ones that have to be careful with this virus - and then realizing that that's US!!!  How did we get into that "elderly" category?  When did we become "old"? 

I am glad we are not flying home - I like the idea that since we're driving, WE are in control of how many people we can come into contact with and the choosing of where to stay and where to eat.  I'm afraid we're into a HUGE reality check once we get into the states!  Time will tell!

In the meantime, we will continue to enjoy our stay down here and keep our immune systems strong!  And when the time comes to drive back home, I'll be bringing toilet paper from Mexico!

1 comment:

Teri said...

Yes enjoy your time. Everyone's lives have changed so much. I am still at work but keeping everyone out of my office - they talk to me while standing in the doorway. Everytime I leave my office, I wash hands or use hand sanitizer. All recreation places are closed so they are posting yoga and other classes online for us. I am doing yoga by myself in my office. Jay on the other hand goes to an empty church each day. The 4 staff members arrive and they keep their distance from each other. No day care, no elderly care. We are still paying all salaries but hear horror stories of families who have lost their jobs and have no money for bills. It is so hard to hear those especially since we are still fine. It will be a long road to recovery. Stay safe and travel safe.