Monday, April 27, 2020

USA Bound

It was bittersweet packing up the truck to come home....we had both made friends there this year and even though it was hard to leave the beach and our new friends, we knew it was time to get back to Colorado!

One of the exciting things we did before we left was to rent a garage for the boat and ATV - not too far from our place so that made it handy!  Glenn left about 90% of all of his fishing stuff he uses down there and I got to leave a tub full of supplies that we use along with a camp chair and a beach lounger.  Which means that next year when we go, we can take the car - and that means Glenn won't have to do all of the driving!

Restrictions in the Baja were still going strong - barricades at the entrance to town, police patrols for the beach and of course no recreational driving of any sort.  I kept reading reports of people that had driven ahead of us up the Baja so we were well informed of what to do!

Our friend Cat who we had met at the Bay of Ascension (and then later arrived at Los Barriles) decided she was going to tag along with us as she was heading to the Bay of LA, about 1/2 way up the Baja!

Before we left I made a sign in Spanish that basically said where we were coming from and where we were going - that's what the military always asks at the checkpoints!

We left in the dark at 6:00am and met Cat up on the highway!  The drive is such a beautiful one and it was fun to turn around and see the sun rise up over the ocean - I WILL miss those stunning sunrises!

A couple of hours into the drive and all of a sudden this wild thought comes into my brain - where is my reading kindle????  Of course I panicked and checked my purse and then got the computer bag and completely emptied it, knowing all the time exactly where I had left it in the rental house - on a footstool that was pushed against the wall in the living room!  The night before (after I had rearranged the living room back to what it was when we came) I had taken my phone and kindle into the living room and never ended up reading my kindle.  The next morning, I KNEW I had already packed up everything in the living room so didn't even go back in that room - my mistake!!  I was just sick!!

I debated who to call (as we didn't have a Mexico phone plan and found it very difficult to call anybody) and decided to call one of the friends I had made whom I knew was heading down to the beach to swim shortly - luckily the phone call went through and I explained the situation - since we had left the house unlocked for the cleaning crew, she went right down and got it and would mail it after she got home - WHEW!!!  What a thing to leave!!

The sign worked well at the checkpoints - we had a total of 8 medical/military stops on the Baja and most of them just waved us through after we would put the sign up to the window and have our masks on - only twice did we have to roll the window down!

The desert was gorgeous as we drove - I LOVE looking down at these places on the Bay of Conception.


We stopped for a quick lunch and then again in Santa Rosalia to stretch!


I had communicated with the yurt people (where we stayed last year) and they were the only ones open in mid-Baja and were just taking Americans and Canadians trying to get home!  Our host upgraded us to the African yurt which is the nicest one there so we were thrilled - it's right beside the river!


The interior was all decked out in African and was truly beautiful!


We headed to their outdoor bar and had a drink and later on they served us dinner which was a delicious seafood pasta!  The grounds are lovely!



And did we sleep well in that lovely place???  Not quite - because we were right by the river, a bullfrog decided to make sounds most of the night!!  Have you ever heard a bullfrog?  It sounds somewhat like a bad tuba player crossed with a freight train!!  OH MY GOSH!!!  I never thought a frog could sound that bad and continue most of the night!!!!!  After breakfast we headed out and a couple of hours into the drive we bid Cat goodbye and headed on our way!  We made it to the border in record time and it took us 5 minutes to cross the border with only one car in front of us! 

We stayed in Yuma, AZ the first night and walked to a BBQ place to get take out to eat in the room.  Breakfast (which is usually a hot one) was only cold cereal, oranges, and yogurt so we ate that in our rooms before heading out.  Gallup, NM was the next nights' stay with NO breakfast whatsoever served.

The last day is always the longest.....but we finally made it home by 5 that afternoon and it felt great to be back up in the mountains at our place!

And I'm sure you're all just dying to know how many books I read during our Mexico trip - would you believe 28 books!!!  All on the kindle of course....

We are booked for next year in the same place at the same price so we're both thrilled about that!  Until next year......

2 comments:

Teri said...

What a lovely place! And so nice you got to leave your stuff there! Do you not ATV during the summer or do you have 2 of them now?

DrKeppy said...

I loved reading the details of your trip home!! The bullfrog story cracked me up!! That yurt looks awesome!