Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Room Requirements!


After spending a night in a hotel room on Sat. night, I decided a great blog would be to write about what constitutes a GREAT room when you're away from home!

We don't stay at too many hotels or motels - most of our stays are in cabins in Colorado or "casitas" on the beach in Mexico! But wherever we stay, I have 3 MAJOR requirements on my list in order to make a room a GREAT place to stay - and of course, a lot of the time my list isn't fulfilled!

As I wrote on my previous blog, the place we stayed on Sat. night was a little "iffy" on the outside but turned out to be just fine on the inside! The set-up of the units was a long string of rooms hooked together, about 1/4 mile above the hot springs. Great views came with this room, not a requirement but certainly a plus! The room was huge with a tall king bed covered in 6 white pillows covered with a heavy white duvet! There was the standard TV sitting on a table, a leather couch and coffee table and also this entryway room which housed the small frig, a desk, a wardrobe and a table with a coffee maker on it!

Off the entryway room was the bathroom which is my first requirement on the list - a SPOTLESSLY CLEAN BATHROOM! I don't want to see any hair on the floor or in the tub - just shiny surfaces everywhere! This bathroom exceeded my requirements - extremely clean with a great tiled shower, good water pressure and one of those nice curved shower curtains that gives you extra room! It also had something I had never seen before and was impressed with! I have stayed at several hot springs hotels with girlfriends and there is NEVER enough places to hang your wet suits and towels - this bathroom had a towel rack completely encircling the sink, kind of underneath - it was great for hanging our wet suits!

Requirement #2 on my list is GOOD reading lights! I always bring a book with me, prop myself up in bed and read! This room had probably the best reading lights I have ever seen. They were bolted on each side of the bed with a swing arm so you could bring it close to you and it had a bright halogen bulb! PERFECT!

And of course everyone likes requirement #3 but we don't always get it - thick insulation in the walls so you can't hear every move your next door neighbor makes, especially flushing the stool in the middle of the night! Our room lucked out in this aspect also as we heard NO sounds during the night!

One thing I thought was quite strange about our room was there was absolutely nothing on the walls, except the bedside lights and the light above the TV - no pictures whatsoever! Not that decor matters to me but it made the room feel even larger! The cedar ceiling was at a slant with large beams so it was an open aired feeling - the best part of the room was sliding glass doors that opened to your own little patio with a table and chairs and awesome views of the chalk cliffs!

I love to travel and stay in different and unique places! I'll keep everyone posted on the next spot!

1 comment:

Teri said...

Makes me want to take a vacation and try out a new hotel room. I have a feeling our trip to Wisconsin and stay at a regular old hotel won't meet yours (or mine) expectations.