Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Lasting Friendship Is A Treasure


I was excited last week when I got a phone call from my Phoenix friend Jo, telling me she would be in the area over the weekend - and I was even more thrilled when her daughter Beth (who lives in Denver) offered to drive Jo down so they could both see our new house!


Jo and I go back a LONG, LONG ways! Back to the days of Dana College where she met her future husband (that I grew up with in school) who was a cousin to my first husband! We all ended up in Ames, Iowa and it was there that our real friendship began!


One thing that I admire about Jo is her EXCELLENT memory! She remembers more things about those years in Ames than I could EVER hope to remember! The 4 of us were inseperable (I hope that's a word!) - even though we all worked or were going to school, we would eat meals at one another's homes - I'm not talking about once or twice a week - this was ALL the time!


And I distinctly remember going with Steve and Jo when Raiders of The Lost Ark came out - Steve wanted to see it and I thought the movie would be dumb but said we would go anyway! Wow was I in for a surprise! I was on the edge of my seat during that whole movie!


Of course, we eventually went our own ways but Jo and I stayed in touch all these years - my oldest daughter's middle name is Jo, after my friend Jo. She has been a wonderful friend all these years, even when we were unable to see each other! Distance just didn't matter and still doesn't!


We had a great time visiting on Sunday - and Jo STILL remains the same - gracious, caring, supportive, honest, and most of all, genuine! I absolutely love talking with her not only about the old times, but the current times - and she is a true listener! That's a quality you don't always find!


It's my turn to visit her in Phoenix - and I made her a promise that I would do just that whenever I can - Phoenix and San Antonio are on my list!


Thanks Jo for being a "true" friend all these years - you have no idea what an impact you have made on my life!


1 comment:

Teri said...

Isn't it amazing how some people will remain friends for ever - no matter how many miles separate you. How precious - glad you got to reconnect.